2 New sony cams/upgrade of cx550/and higher one - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old February 1st, 2011, 09:57 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I have yet to "use up" the onboard 32G... It's at least 3 hours at the highest quality setting.

My only rule on memory cards is be VERY careful buying on eBay <wink> - got to avoid the knockoff junk cards, which are plentiful there and will cause problems. I use Sony or Sandisk MS Duos, even the "low spec" cards seem to work OK, although older ones may not be up to the data flow (had some basic 8G that were fine for stills, but choked on video with buffer over-runs). Generally the higher speed ones are "better" and faster for data dumps.

I usually will set the "low lux" option, which turns off after 12 hours or so, I guess some people don't "like" it, but I go with the theory tahat even if the footage is noisier, I'd rather it be in a usable exposure range. It kicks in only when needed, so I don't see any harm if I know there will be some low light conditions.

I typically will set the dial to "exposure" as it's the "quick and dirty" way to adjust the cameras on board intelligent choices which are "right" most of the time, although I think you'll find any long term Sony user will recommend you set the "AE shift" to between -2 and -4 depending on general shooting conditions, and leave it there to get best results. I'm not sure why Sony will lean towards overexposing an image a bit, but they seem to, AE shift is an easy fix. I have spot focus and esposure programmed into the first menu that pops up (along with the lo lux button). Again, it's a fast easy way to override if you see the camera struggling or want a specific aspect of the shot to be the focal point.

I know that there are those that complain that Sony doesn't provide as much "manual control", but my feeling is that just bacause there's not a button for every function, there is no reason not to use the controls offered as needed, and I've fond them to be very effective in practical use.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM   #17
Major Player

Assuming that we are talking about CX cams again, here's what I'll add to Ron and Dave's comments.

"which sd cards are the best to go with performance/reliablility wise. brand? class#?"

I agree with Dave. I use SanDisk and Transcend cards with my NX5 and CX 550 cams. Class 6 cards, I think.

"32gigs will hold 3hrs?"

Yes for 24Mbps on the CX550v and NX5 when shooting highest quality HD (24 Mbps AVCHD). You can, of course, look into 64 g cards, too. Do you realize that the CX550 has 64 gigs of internal flash memory which is over 6 hours of recording time? The CX 700 has 96 gigs.

"can i record on hd and sd at same time."

Yes on the NX5, but not on the CX550 or 700.

The CX550 or 700 have neither duplicate recording capability nor a relay recording function. You can dump the flash memory onto SD cards, however. Also, you can manually switch over to an SD card and resume recording when the flash memory fills up.

" and last how much are the 32 gig cards?"
Varies from week to week and vendor to vendor. Try starting with B&H and Tapeworks Texas (both DVinfo sponsors.)

"since you can only use the manual dial for one thing at a time, what setting do you feel should this be applied to in dark settings/receptions.....daylight outside settings....?"

I'm with Dave on this which means I typically set the dial/knob to work exposure when I need manual adjustments. Do find the "white balance" in the menu and learn to use it. The "one push" re-balancing can be valuable as you move through different lighting conditions.

"and stage shoots?"

I've followed Ron's advice about the AE shift and otherwise leave exposure alone for stage shoots using the CX cams as locked-down stage view cams. Here, I generally put the cams on manual focus and use the dial/button/knob thingie to get a sharp fixed focus. Once set, I leave it alone for the rest of the performance. (I switch off the active steady shot, too, unless the cam will be sitting close to a loudspeaker.) You can also use "spot focus" for this.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #18
New Boot

Re: 2 New sony cams/upgrade of cx550/and higher one

Right now I have an SR11 (which is 60i) and I'm thinking of upgrading to the CX560v to get 1080 60p recording. Any thoughts?
Joe Seidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #19
Inner Circle

SR11 has a viewfinder the CX560 does not. If you want a viewfinder the CX700 is the one or look for a CX550

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #20
Inner Circle

The CX560 is probably fine if you can get along without the VF, everything else is there from the CX700. I might update my CX500's as I like the small no VF form factor and wouldn't mind having the 60p... I like having the 3.5" LCD of the CX550, and the CX560 (w/3"LCD) is at least an upgrade from the CX500V (2.7").
Old March 1st, 2011, 07:07 AM   #21
New Boot

Thanks for the info. I really haven't used the viewfinder on my SR11 much, so I probably would not miss it on the CX560. With the seemingly low resolution of the SR11 color viewfinder I find it easier to just use the LCD screen and cup my hand around it or use some type of hood with bright sunlight conditions.

This camera will mainly be a vacation camera and used for home movies. So the smaller, lighter form factor is enticing. It will also serve as a possible second camera on my video shoots of weddings, recitals, etc. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be giving up any other features with this camera. I will be selling my SR11 in order to put some money towards the new camera. If it's only the viewfinder I'm losing and a little LCD screen size, then I can live with that.
Old March 1st, 2011, 02:01 PM   #22
Inner Circle

IIRC the screen on the SR11 was 3", so unless you've been spoilt by the 3.5" of the CX550, you probably wouldn't notice! I like having a VF "sometimes" as it can come in handy, but it's not a deal breaker, The 560 looks pretty nice overall, and you get MOST of the "new" features of the CX700.
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #23
New Boot

Just got my CX560V yesterday. I am glad I went with this model! The low light quality is incredible and the 60p recordings look amazing. In my early and limited use of it so far, I would have to say it is much better than the SR11 I was using.
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I like the quality of the video from the CX700 and it has zebra back just like the SR11 which my wife will like when she shoot. The menu system is not as convenient as the SR1 though which is sad.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #25
New Boot

Agreed. The CX menu system is a real thrash. I think they tried to simplify things and ended up adding and over-complicating it.
Joe Seidel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders