led lights for small sony cams at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old March 16th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Major Player

led lights for small sony cams

what brand of led lights are you using on the sony cams?i rented a lite panels for my cx550 and it worked fine. but 350.00. is way more that i want to spend to buy it. anyone used the bescor 70?will mainly be using for wedding receptions
thanks
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: led lights for small sony cams

Jim,

The HDV-Z96 LED light offered on ebay is pretty good for the price. It gives a nice colour of light and hasn't too much of a spotlight effect. It also seems pretty solid, comes with a Tungsten filter and diffuser and is fully dimmable. I do use mine on both, 7D and EX1R and I'm very happy with it.

Gabor
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Trustee

for weddings i use 160 led lights on all my cameras, similar to Z96 also can be found on ebay,cheap, power efficient and for the price is great.
Old March 17th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

There are a range of cheap LEDs on eBay, 32/64, 126, 135, 160, and I think a couple larger ones. I wanted something with a dimmer, and have a couple of these coming in just to check out - look a bit cheap on the construction side, but maybe they'll be better in person? In any event, will be evaluating them whenever they actually arrive, will try to post some impressions.

Interestingly, my doorbell rang... so here's some first impressions!

The Yongnuo SYD 0808 (with 23/64 LED configuration, around $30 on eBay from various sources) - significantly lower overall output (might be the batteries of questionable power, got to go buy some fresh AA's) than the Sima SL-20's I've got - the difference between "hi" and "lo" is so insignificant as to be not worth the mention... I think the Sima's are better, although two of them will cost more than the 0808, they'd be more useful. On the "plus" side, the lower output probably won't be as hard on the subject's eyes, where the Sima's can be a little harsh. Unless the light output picks up with fresh batteries, not that impressed with this one, although it's compact and using AA's is "handy", the output doesn't look to cut it.

NOTE: I stuck two (out of 4) fresh batteries in, and this did kick up enough to look promising... so will leave the jury out on this until fresh batteries are available... which would be BAD if you were on a shoot and didn't have battery replacements handy... see below.

The oher light I ordered was the CN-126 "kit", (around $45 on eBay again from various sources) - was worried after the 0808, BUT, this one looks promising! Comes with the light, a diffusion (clear), a purple looking (minus green?), and a orange ("warm") filter. One seller includes a foot for the hot shoe, may buy another from them!

The main feature that caught my eye was that this can take multiple battery types (including the Sony FV50 and FH70 I tested with - it doesn't quite fit right as the cavity is designed for the FH series, but it does attach well enough, so it can easily use the same batteries as the camcorder if you shoot Sony (and there's one Panasonic battery it works with). MAJOR plus in my book, fewer chargers to corral, and less batteries to deal with.

This light is big, but fairly light (still relatively big compared to the CX550!), has an adjustable hot shoe mount that looks "OK", but I wouldn't drop this... it's plastic, and likely wouldn't come out well. The hot shoe adjustments could allow you to use this in "bounce" fashion by angling the unit up towards a light colored ceiling - potentially handy!

Here's the BIG BIG plus - this light has a on/off potentiometer to adjust light output over the full range - VERY cool! Some of the imports allow variation in "steps", I think the knob probablyworks better, as I have complete control of the light output. There is a VERY slight and almost inaudible whine in certain parts of the range, as others have reported, but it's not very loud - I was only able to notice it in a completely quiet room - any ambient noise, you'll never hear it.

From what I could tell the AWB of the CX550 was able to adjust so I didn't see a large change from the included filters, and I could easily leave the light at a low level that wouldn't bother my sensitive eyes and achieve a very usable image in low lux mode in a otherwise completely dark room. The light appeared to cover fairly evenly across the very wide lens range of the CX550, will have to fiddle further with "fall off"/throw, but this looks like it will be able to light a pretty wide area with little trouble. There is a 160LED version of this light I've seen for about $10 more (and a YongNuo version with flags, that's around $60). Don't know why you'd need the additional LED's, but may order one out of curiousity.

Bang/buck ratio looks to be quite good with this light for "on camera" use, I could see using these for fill and perhaps even interview lighting (perhaps a bit optomistic?!). I'd be thrilled if the size were smaller, but it's not bad considering! Probably worth having in one's kit for the price, whether you "need" a light or not!

Last edited by Dave Blackhurst; March 17th, 2011 at 04:22 PM.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders