DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-rx-cybershots-cx-series-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony CX550 issue with rec button (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-rx-cybershots-cx-series-camcorders/495635-sony-cx550-issue-rec-button.html)

Jim Stamos May 9th, 2011 12:31 AM

Sony CX550 issue with rec button

was shooting a bar mitzvah sat with my 550, what a picture!!
i was also using a panasonic hpx170 and ended up using the 550 all night, it was that much better, especially the lcd.
anyway i had an issue , battery was full but there were times when i was shooting where it would randomly go off of record into standy and i would hit record again and it would go stanby shortly after. then it would
go fine for a while. this was sporadic throughout the shoot. my hand was nowhere near the rec. button.
any idea???

Buba Kastorski May 9th, 2011 07:54 AM

re: Sony CX550 issue with rec button

only one, how fast/what class SDHC card did you use, and what brand?
try to use class 6 and up from sandisk and if you'll see the same behaviour replace the camera,

Jim Stamos May 9th, 2011 09:50 AM

wasnt using any sd cards, using the internal harddrive

Chris Hurd May 9th, 2011 10:26 AM

Which camera model is this, Jim? So I know which forum to move it to...

Jim Stamos May 9th, 2011 10:48 AM

its the sony cx550

Chris Hurd May 9th, 2011 10:52 AM

Re: Sony CX550 issue with rec button

Thanks -- thread title edited to make it less ambiguous.

Dave Blackhurst May 9th, 2011 04:45 PM

Two thoughts, one is that perhaps there was some "stray" infrared noise that triggered the camera - I've had "mysterious" camera behavior before (not with the CX550 specifically, but with other Sonys), similar to what you describe.

The other option would be a hardware glitch in the camera (or something with the "rec" button on the touchscreen? I disable that option). Check your touchscreen settings, make sure you don't have a "rec button" there, then run the camera for a while and see if the problem shows up, if it doesn't, back to the "stray" IR possibility, in which case you can disable the remote somewhere in the menus to prevent that (but then of course you can't use the remote either...).

Jim Stamos May 9th, 2011 06:46 PM

dave, there is a record button on screen, how do i disable it in menu

Dave Blackhurst May 10th, 2011 01:31 AM

Menu, General settings, sound/disp set, display set, AUTO2 disables rec and zoom on screen... "ON" also works, but doesn't "auto hide" all the extra icons, Auto2 causes the display to "clean up" after a couple seconds, and a swipe across the screen brings the hidden icons/info back. I prefer Auto2 as it cleans up the screen for framing, but of course you lose the ability to monitor all the "meters", without sometimes touching the screen to bring them up!

It's REALLY buried, all I knew is I turned it off somehow, took some digging to find it again!