Which telephoto lens for a Sony CX560V at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old December 17th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which telephoto lens for a Sony CX560V

Just got the new camera in and it is a little short on the zoom. Which would be the best telephoto to get for shooting mainly sports outdoors. Also, I assume there is a big difference in filters that you can get so which brand/quality should I use on a new camera?

Tks

Last edited by Richard Davidson; December 17th, 2011 at 10:46 AM.
Richard Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Which telephoto lens for a Sony CX560V

You're limited by the lens that's already on the cam -- no matter how good the tele extender is, you can't get a sharper picture than the original lens will allow.

That being said, Raynox and Sony both make nice lenses for the CX series. Makes sure you get one with the correct rear thread diameter or an adapter. Yours is 37mm.

Here's a pretty good list:

tele lens

You don't need any filters -- the CX lenses are recessed (I think) and have auto lens covers that snap closed when the cam is off, and are unlikely to suffer any damage.
Old December 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I had looked at the Sony but I didn't know if there were better ones or is it pretty much the same? Sony is like Harley Davidson in my book, I really like their product but it is usually overpriced due to the name. Would I be able to see any difference between the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479680-REG/Sony_VCLHG1737C_VCL_HG1737C_37mm_1_7x_Hi_Grade.html and the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/724841-REG/Raynox_DCR_1541PRO_DCR_1541PRO_High_Definition_Telephoto.html?

I know shooting basketball for the last two days with the new camera I will not have the zoom that I need when football comes around again.
Richard Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 01:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I haven't tested either, but a thorough reading of the reviews on the site should give you a pretty good sense, I would think.
Old December 18th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Inner Circle

One thing to be aware of - you probably will run into pretty serious vignette when mounting a tele on this camera - the stock lens i so wide, you'll find that you'll be looking at the innards of the tele lens until you zoom in a significant amount.

Have you experimented at all with the digital zoom? I hate to use it, but if you don't zoom in TOO agressively, you can still get pretty clean and usable footage - I know that staying optical is PREFERRED, but the loss of zoom range with a tele lens is more of an issue IMO.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
One thing to be aware of - you probably will run into pretty serious vignette when mounting a tele on this camera - the stock lens i so wide, you'll find that you'll be looking at the innards of the tele lens until you zoom in a significant amount.
Dave is correct, I took the liberty of taking some screenshots from the following video of the HG1737C on a CX700V (same lens/sensor as the 560): SONY VCL-HG1737C Tele Conversion Lens on Sony HDR-CX700V - YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
Which telephoto lens for a Sony CX560V-without-tight.jpg   Which telephoto lens for a Sony CX560V-without-wide.jpg  

Which telephoto lens for a Sony CX560V-tight.jpg   Which telephoto lens for a Sony CX560V-wide.jpg  

Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Inner Circle

If you really want to try a tele lens, I think I've got a couple older 1.7 or 2x HG ones around here somewhere, PM me and I'm sure I can sell 'em fairly cheap, not much use for them, but I collect stuff... now I'm trying to "decollect"...

Matt's screen caps pretty much tell the story though.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders