Sony RX10 point-and-shoot camera - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old December 14th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #211
Major Player

Re: Sony RX10 point-and-shoot camera

more digging found this thread, talking about it. the connector is a sony proprietary modification of usb micro, Facilitating intervalometers/computer control for NEX line: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

how nice of them to make things difficult
Old December 14th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #212
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
Does the remote commander RM-VPR1 allow for variable speed zoom with the RX10? Can a "creep" speed be achieved and if so is it smooth?
No set speeds, with the RX10 if you lightly press you can get a slightly slower even zoom(about 70%)
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #213
Inner Circle

@Darrin -

Yep, it looks like it's just a modification of the A/V jack implementation, just using unused pins of the micro USB, which is now a "standardized" connector - I heard from one source this was a "legislated" change so that we don't have so many proprietary USB chargers in landfills... now my phones ALL use it, and all the newer Sony cameras.

I don't see anything "difficult", other than the reverse engineering required to figure out pins and if they still use a "trigger" signal for various functions as the LANC on A/V did. It actually makes sense for Sony to finally avoid OVERLY proprietary standards - if you can charge your camera in an emergency with a phone charger, that could come in handy... and if there are a few "spare" pins not dedicated to any other functions, why not design in some more features!?

Your link was for the I/R, which is yet another "input" - previously you had A/V jack, AiShoe, and the I/R remote, now you have Micro USB, MiShoe and I/R - just changes of connectors really, and while "inconvenient", and I suppose a bit expensive if you have to buy all new remotes/etc., I'm actually pleased that the stuff is already available "off the shelf". And if the Sony community expands, as it no doubt will with the three innovative cameras just released, there WILL be more "hacker" interest, and probably more options!

I Googled the model #'s Paul provided, plenty of "hits", including the cable to adapt from A/V (so the RMAV I have would adapt, for instance) to the MicroUSB. Debating the "best" option for that... vs. the "new" remote. Either way, having a remote option for RX series cameras makes them that much closer to replacing video cams for many shooting scenarios. The RX10 will be more generally useful to me than a video camera, but I still see the slot for a PJ series in the "fleet", at least for now... though it just dropped a little farther!

Many moons ago I dreamed of having just a couple cameras to cover all the angles... this of course leads to a camera COLLECTION and a case of GAS, as you find different cameras are needed to do different things... the RX10 comes much closer to covering most of the scenarios and looks like it will cover them fairly well, so much of my thought right now is focused on... which cameras can be "re-homed" rather than sitting on the shelf!?
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #214
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
...Right now I just have to wrestle with my aversion to paying "retail" and pull the trigger on an RX10 - I was so hoping that there would be a flood of these "lightly used" from people who would be "disappointed" when they couldn't figure out how to use the camera...
Hi Dave - as of this post, there are five "lightly used" units at Amazon Warehouse Deals for $1195.07.

Good luck and best of the holidays!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #215
Regular Crew

I really like this camera, I'm thinking serious about getting it. There is on thing that is holding me back, I want to know if this camera overheats at all, when recording to the 29 minute limit, The limit I can handle, but the overheating, No Way! I had Sony's Nex-7, nice video, but hughe problem with overheating, especially being erratic. In some ways I cant believe I'm thinking if buying another Sony camera.

More than one test would be great to know.
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #216
Major Player

so it's confirmed that these are actually brand new, i just got mine and even called just to ask them about it, lady claimed since they ran out of open box, they sent me a new one instead. invoice even shows new SKU. similar reports from others as well on this deal. if you were waiting for an RX10 on sale, i doubt we'll see this low for a long while:

$937
Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX10 Digital Camera, Black - Open Box DSC-RX10/B OB
Old December 20th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #217
Trustee

I ordered my RX10 yesterday and apparently a $300 rebate just showed up in the dealer system, even though it hasn't been "announced" yet. Perhaps the "torn" open box deal is how adorama is "not" advertising it.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #218
Major Player

interesting! what retailer was that?
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:28 PM   #219
Austinite

Shot some hand held wide with image stabilization turned on:

Did a rambling voice over about features / benefits.
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:34 PM   #220
Inner Circle

This looks like it is set up for control of the camera Shooting Grip with Mini Tripod - Action Cam Accessories Sony Store - Sony CA

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:26 AM   #221
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Goetz View Post
Shot some hand held wide with image stabilization turned on:
Thanks for that Phil; the active stabilization works quite well.

I have a question; why did you choose 24p rather than 60p for that kind of shoot. The stutter was too pronounced and annoying, I thought, especially when you panned as you did, a lot. Kind of defeats the purpose of active stabilization I would have thought.

Cheers...
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 02:55 AM   #222
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
This looks like it is set up for control of the camera Shooting Grip with Mini Tripod - Action Cam Accessories Sony Store - Sony CA

Ron Evans
I have the D plug version of this which was made for the CX cams. It works, but unless Sony has used stronger materials for the multi version it has a lot of flex, it only has 4 set clicks for angle and as this was designed for flat based handycams with the weight towards the back of the bracket the RX10 topples if you set it flat to use as a tripod.
You may find it usefull only for hand holding 'steadycam' shots

Paul Rickford

Last edited by Paul Rickford; December 23rd, 2013 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Typo
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #223
Inner Circle

In the market for this cam...anyone knows of an open box, etc., please post or message me! Thanks!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 06:32 AM   #224
Regular Crew

Do any of you have any wedding footage shot with this camera posted online? Most of the demos I have seen online have been of outdoor scenery and not really concentrated on people. I would love to see some professionally shot indoor wedding footage from the camera so I could gauge how much better it is than my Sony EX1.
Rich Adrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 07:27 PM   #225
Inner Circle

I have some rx10 footage from the last wedding I did last year (end december) and will start editing it in a week, if you want I can share some footage through a password protected link?
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders