Sony RX10 point-and-shoot camera - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old February 4th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #241
Inner Circle

Re: Sony RX10 point-and-shoot camera

Yeah, I agree Cliff, the whole handycam thing sucks. I despise the looks of them, but the 1" sensor and unlimited recording are so great. This is a lot of camera for the money no matter how you slice it.

I'm holding off totally, I'm completely flummoxed now. Need to see what else is happening and gather my thoughts.

I do love the Sony look always have, never liked Canon anyway. Put a shotgun mount on the CX900 and I'd pay another $500 and I'd probably be reasonably happy.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #242
Inner Circle

The odds are 100% that it will get MORE "confusing"... The Bionz X is already mentioned in upcoming Alpha series cams, which means APS-C and FF sensors (with FF likely to include 4K based on the rumors).

Sony WILL release more cameras with this sensor and/or processor - they've set a pretty high bar for any "successors", but there will be something new next year if the numerous releases for 2014 sure to come don't trip your trigger... that's the "consumer" market for ya! Next years models may be better or worse...

Considering Sony history, the odds again favor a "pro" version of one or both the AX100 and CX900 - they don't even have to shoot black plastic into the molds instead of grey! A1u based on HC1, NX70 was CX700 based, NX30 is based on the PJ760, FX1/Z1U, FX7/V1U, etc... again, the odds virtually guarantee a "pro" version of the AX100! There are some skips in the lineage because Pro lines don't refresh at the same crazy rate that consumer lines do (3-5 years vs. annual), but since the AX100 clearly replaces the top of the consumer line, it's a virtual lock to appear with "NX" or other "pro" badging.

All that aside, there's something to be said for the cam you have or can get... the RX100 rapidly became the camera I was using most of the time, the M2 version is even better with video, and is still the "compact" choice. It's not "perfect", but it's darn good... The RX10 is already a "favored choice", a "one cam" solution for most things still or video. Again, not "perfect", but it will outshoot most anything else I can grab from the camera collection... Toss in a "dedicated" video camera (AX100) to complement those two, and I can't think of too much I CAN'T do with that lot! For a list price of $4k-ish for all 3 cameras, you're talking less than ONE "pro" camera... buy used or open box, it's even less... and you get a lot of high quality shooting FUN for that, vs. one big heavy camera. "Perfect"? No, but should give a creative shooter a virtual arsenal (one that fits in a small camera bag, no less!), with quality output most people would consider to be stellar.

I don't find the slow zoom or the clip length to be THAT much of a problem in practical use, but I've shot video with still cameras long enough that the limitations aren't a big deal. Like Werner, I typically shoot multicam, so those things are easily worked around.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #243
Major Player

I wish there was a work around the 30 minute limit as I would get one of these as my 3rd camera as a stationary wider shot, but having to go back to it to press record again wouldn't work for this purpose. Does the app let you control the camera remotely?
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #244
Trustee

HDMI recorder will allow you to bypass the 29min limitation. Plus you get a great codec as well.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #245
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
HDMI recorder will allow you to bypass the 29min limitation. Plus you get a great codec as well.
But wouldn't that essential make it $2000 camera? Seems to be defeating the purpose for a lower priced C-Cam.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #246
Trustee

Using an external recorder is a pain, no doubt. I have an FS100, EX1r and VG20 so I already had the recorder before I got the RX10.

I wonder if the AX100 and CX900 will shoot RAW pictures like the RX10. We know it's certainly capable. We just don't know if Sony will block that feature on these Handycams.

On teh RX10, it's certainly is nice to have a smooth "iris" ring on a lens. Those little partially exposed "wheels" on many Handycams sure are fiddly. (like the ones on the VG10/20 and 30...and now the AX100/CX900)

I hate how the AX100/CX900 rings can be assigned for "focus" or "zoom",...but not "iris". hehe...they know how to "getcha" alright.

I just got an RX10 I'm going to turn right around and by an AX100 in about two months. (depending on NAB announcements)

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #247
Major Player

[QUOTE=Matt Thomas;1830615]I wish there was a work around the 30 minute limit as I would get one of these as my 3rd camera as a stationary wider shot/QUOTE]

Hi Matt - sounds like you may want to look at the £1680.48 CX900 when it is released in April in the UK :)

Sadly, that's £770 more than the current price for the RX10 (darned EU camcorder tax).

Good luck,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #248
Inner Circle

[quote=Bill Bruner;1831331]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I wish there was a work around the 30 minute limit as I would get one of these as my 3rd camera as a stationary wider shot/QUOTE]

Hi Matt - sounds like you may want to look at the £1680.48 CX900 when it is released in April in the UK :)

Sadly, that's £770 more than the current price for the RX10 (darned EU camcorder tax).
That "darned EU camcorder tax" is only 4.7% of wholesale import price so it hardly accounts for any significant price difference. The street price of the RX10 is about £900 so even if the 4.7% camcorder duty were levied on the retail price it would only be under £50. It's a damn shame that the camera manufacturers want to trim their prices so much that none of them are prepared to up the retails price to cover the tax & produce a proper stills/video hybrid without this 30 minute recording limit nonsense.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #249
Regular Crew

Caught a couple of new test shots from the RX10

and
Rich Adrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:16 PM   #250
Inner Circle

I saw this photo at the Sony site on this page: DSC-RX10 Digital Still Camera - DSCRX10/B Review - Sony US

I can't find anything like it on the web. Does anyone know about this accessory?
Attached Thumbnails
Sony RX10 point-and-shoot camera-capture.jpg  
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:23 PM   #251
Inner Circle

Never mind, I just found it on amazon. Retails for $799 and it mounts with a bracket. It would appear that it would not mount on a tripod with the bracket.
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:50 PM   #252
Inner Circle

Looks like the same unit that comes with the NX30U. Should also work with the FDR-AX1 too. The NX30 has a cold shoe to mount the unit on. I think there is also an angle bracket that mounts under the camera with a cold shoe too.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:22 PM   #253
Regular Crew

It seems like this XLR add on is really overpriced, Sony might be able to sell a few more RX10s if they had a big rebate deal on the item
Rich Adrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:16 AM   #254
Inner Circle

Some time ago I saw a offer where you'd get that xlr mic add on for free if you would buy a sony vg900.
Overpriced accessories is Sony's trademark.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:57 PM   #255
Inner Circle

I like the LCD, very nice, but the EVF is very usable, and I'm not one to use a viewfinder, normally. I do like the feel of the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders