Sony RX10 point-and-shoot camera - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old November 19th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: Sony RX10 point-and-shoot camera

I have only ever been impressed by this camera on paper, not one of the multiple videos I have ever seen from this camera has ever impressed me whatsoever in any way.
Dylan Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post
And here is one more RX10 I found on YouTube
Colour and sharpness looks great, but I see that on the faces especially burned out highlights when it gets hit by a spotlight, I think the way the camera deals with the highlights is it's Achilles heel.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #48
Trustee

I totally agree with highlight handling, all the clips that I have seen show blown out hot spots. Fun camera I reckon with ability to take stills.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #49
Major Player

i'll hold my judgement till i get it and put it in neutral with contrast dialed down
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Based on my experience with the RX100, there should be lots of adjustability, meaning lots of opportunity to also "get it wrong" with this camera. Took me a while to get a handle on the RX100... now I don't hesitate to shoot video with the RX100M2...

I'd suggest start with the EV shift to the negative side (overexposing being well documented to be a Sony tendency), and also fiddle with the DRO setting...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #51
Major Player

do you have any rx100 samples you can post that handle highlights well?
Old November 19th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Based on my experience with the RX100, there should be lots of adjustability, meaning lots of opportunity to also "get it wrong" with this camera. Took me a while to get a handle on the RX100...
That's the same for me -- since I'm not using my RX100 very often, I always get a bit bewildered when I finally power it up. My little Leica, on the other hand, is more of an idiot-proof point & shoot'er.

-- peer
Old November 20th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #53
Regular Crew

I am considering getting this camera so here is my question: it has no native 1080/30p which is a format I must use, out of the options it does have which should I use to latter conform it to 1080/30p?
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Can't you just add a 60p file in a 30p project? I do this all the time in edius (mixing 50p and 25p)
Old November 20th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #55
Regular Crew

I'm sure I could, I'm just asking this august group what they think is the best way to do this
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 04:07 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Just got the RX10 - anyone else got it yet? Going to be a few days before I try it out tho...
Ian Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 07:13 PM   #57
Inner Circle

You are one of the first it seems and you dear to let everyone wait for some decent footage? Shame on you. :)
I must admit I had an eye on the rx10 as well and almost pre-ordered untill I saw that random "blown highlights" footage that has been posted so far on youtube, so instead I blew my budget on a 25mm f1.4 leica and a 7,5mm fisheye for my gh3 last week, I still need a longer zoom though as I only got a 12-35mm and it's either gonna be a 35-100mm or the rx10 but then I sure need to see some awesome footage from the rx10 to convince me not to get the 35-100mm instead, so far I"m only partially impressed and waiting for people like you to prove me wrong and then to find out you don't have time, pff. (just kidding :)
Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:05 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Noa -
You're already familiar with Sony cameras, so you are probably used to the overexposure tendency - there is also a DRO setting with 5 levels that should be able to flatten things out a bit too...

I've been looking through my RX100M2 clips (mostly casual family stuff), I am not seeing any real "blown highlights", but I haven't seen anything where a little manual tweaking couldn't take the exposure down if/when/as needed. I need to figure out which drive I stuck the footage we shot at night time cart racing on - the RX100M2 was struggling (a place the f/2.8 would have been a big help!), but it looked pretty good on first review...

The RX10 with ND filters and the aperture adjustment presents another set of "tweaks" available while shooting. I already mentioned I found the 100 to be a bit to learn - one might almost say "too many" adjustments - probably not something the "average" user will be prepared for, to be honest.

I hope to pick one of these up once a few people buy them and find them to be "too much camera" - you'd be surprised how many people think "point & shoot" and then find out that to get the most out of the camera they should learn a little more about how cameras work... wish I had hands on one to play with a bit, but holiday budgets and all that!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:09 AM   #59
Trustee

Hey Ian, when you have had a good test run with the camera please share some footage and your thoughts.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 09:12 AM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
do you have any rx100 samples you can post that handle highlights well?
I shot this silly & spontaneous DOF'y cat video with my RX100 in bright sunny daylight:

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders