RX10: Grand Canyon Winter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old December 12th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Major Player

RX10: Grand Canyon Winter

If moire, aliasing & mud are to be issues, the Grand Canyon will provide the cause. The Sony RX10 found none.

This location is often where my cameras become keepers or failures. The RX10 was a big success and is a keeper. This camera offers better than the best of camcorders and DSLRs I've owned, and then some.

Zoom speed has been considered an issue, but was a joy to use with the zoom lever and focus ring. I'd be even happier with a slower zoom.

ISO3200 Low-light shots, IMO, were as useable as those from my GH3 despite the AVCHD codec.

Clear Image Zoom allowed getting California Conor shots I'd have missed badly with my usual Lumix lenses. And at no apparent loss of quality.

At -6 degrees my favorite lightweight Benro S2 fluid-like head became a brick, but the camera was unfazed. The Manfrotto 560B monopod fluid coupling works at any temp.

RX10 buttons are easier to operate with gloves than GH3. Some GH3 buttons are difficult gloveless.

Winter 2013 at Grand Canyon South Rim. View from the rim, landmark architecture, and route to Plateau Point via Bright Angel Trail. Also had a close visit with a California Condor at Plateau Point.

Sony DSC-RX10
1080/60p
Exterior settings: Vivid, +2 Sharpening, -0.3/0.7 Exposure, Auto WB
Interior settings: Standard, +2 Sharpening, 0.0 Exposure, Auto WB
Manfrotto 560B Fluid Monopod
Gitzo GT0531 Tripod
Benro S2 Fluid-like Head
Polarizer
Old December 12th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: RX10: Grand Canyon Winter

I really liked the video Dan. You will have to update your signature now that the RX-10 is a keeper.

As a matter of interest, does the RX-10 allow the sharpening to be turned off altogether? I like the low sharpening look I get out of my Canon, but have been quite interested in this Sony.
Old December 12th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes, even downloading HD at full screen (27") on Vimeo, the footage looks spectacular. But I thought the Grand Canyon didn't allow bad footage to be shot? (G). Spent a week down on the river there last May. One of the most amazing experiences of all time. The RX10 certainly delivers. Footage looks very clean.
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lewis View Post
I really liked the video Dan. You will have to update your signature now that the RX-10 is a keeper.

As a matter of interest, does the RX-10 allow the sharpening to be turned off altogether? I like the low sharpening look I get out of my Canon, but have been quite interested in this Sony.
Many thanks for watching and commenting Tim. Thanks also for the signature reminder.

Sony Creative Styles can be adjusted +/- 3 for Sharpening, Contrast & Saturation. There are a host of these Styles depending on personal taste.

There are several C100 users comparing the RX10 favorably here:
or Sony RX10: What we've been looking for from Panasonic?

Happy researching...
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
Yes, even downloading HD at full screen (27") on Vimeo, the footage looks spectacular. But I thought the Grand Canyon didn't allow bad footage to be shot? (G). Spent a week down on the river there last May. One of the most amazing experiences of all time. The RX10 certainly delivers. Footage looks very clean.
You're so right - there is no such thing as bad GC video. I'm at the Canyon 5 or 6 times yearly, but haven't done a river trip. Gotta fix that.

Massive thanks for watching and commenting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders