Sony RX10 user experience thread - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old May 1st, 2015, 02:18 PM   #166
Inner Circle

Re: Sony RX10 user experience thread

If you poke around the web, you'll find a lot of still shooters that found the RX10 is a handy camera and ends up getting more use than their "big" SLR kit... the "fun" factor is also a component of why people like to shoot this camera, it actually is "fun" as well as producing good output.

As Noa notes, get a screen protector for a couple extra $$ (I picked up Sony ones on ebay for around $10!), the Sony LCD's seem to attract "scratchies" and the screen protector is better than replacing the LCD... which as also noted, would benefit from being fully articulated, and better aligned so it doesn't conflict with the tripod screw mount... minor niggles, but...

Once you've made a mental note of the 30 minute limit, it's not really that big a deal.

Random oddities seem to crop up in electronics, usually an on/off cycle and or a battery removal to clear the cobwebs does the trick - I've had strangeness with other Sonys, and those do the trick.

The slow zoom could likely be "fixed" in firmware - I believe it was done to prevent motor noise while recording, a common complaint when zoom motor noise gets too loud with too much speed... I don't expect a "fix", though variable zoom would seem like a nifty feature. Personally, I'd rather see 4K in new firmware... but one can pair the RX10 with an AX100 for a potent multicam package that fits in a small bag if you want 4K.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 03:15 PM   #167
Trustee

Dave, thank you as well, just to say thanks to you all for your advice, it really is very helpful.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 04:21 PM   #168
Trustee

One thing I noticed was having the camera set up before shooting begins, by this I mean having video and picture settings set as having to adjust settings on the go is a bit slow at times and the shot could go by.

I have the dial Memory1 set for stills & Memory 2 set for semi auto video and the video dial set for manual video.

This way I'm set for most situations as there are so many functions on this camera to choose from.
My video picture profile is neutral -3:-1:0 and also I use multi metering most of the time. Changing metering on the RX10 can result in very different images so I would recommend playing around with these.

Also I have the Exposure Comp Dial set to -0.3 which seems to help a bit with reducing whites blowing out.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 04:47 PM   #169
Trustee

Thank you Simon for sharing your PP setting.
It will become more clear to me once I buy the RX10.
I just intend to use it for video only at my weddings btw.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 12:53 PM   #170
Major Player

Looking for a hybrid video/stills camera that can also serve at times as a B cam to my Sony X70. My focus is 75% video/25% stills.

Does the RX10 allow the following WHILE SHOOTING in ALL video modes, even in 120fps and when using Active Stabilization?

auto and manual focus changes
auto and manual exposure adjustments
zooming
audio recording

Some cameras lock exposure or zoom setting at the start of a clip and some don't record audio in 120fps, etc. These are all deal-breakers for me.

Thanks in advance!
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 03:17 PM   #171
Trustee

Hi David,
Here are the answers to your questions.

auto and manual focus changes: YES
auto and manual exposure adjustments: YES
zooming: YES
audio recording: YES, internal mic or using an external mic

When one sets up the RX10 using auto or manual it's a click of a button or switch.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:38 PM   #172
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post
Hi David,
Here are the answers to your questions.

auto and manual focus changes: YES
auto and manual exposure adjustments: YES
zooming: YES
audio recording: YES, internal mic or using an external mic
...and it can make all these changes on the fly while shooting video, and it does record audio even in 720p120 mode? Great!

Early posts seemed focused on the slow zooming - I don't see that as a big problem, but has that changed in recent months with firmware updates?

Thanks for the info. It's pretty amazing that even 1 1/2 years after its introduction the RX10 is in many ways still the best long zoom camera of this type.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 03:43 AM   #173
Trustee

As I mentioned in an earlier post, one can set up the camera to cover most shooting situations

Can make all these changes on the fly while shooting video: YES
Does record audio even in 720p120 mode: Im in PAL land so 100/50P and YES audio is recorded.

Firmware is at 2.00 so no new updates on the slow zooming. It's slow which I find useful at times although I don't generally zoom in during at take.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:00 AM   #174
Trustee

How does this 30min recording limit work?
Say it was recording continuous for 27mins, and I got a chance to stop recording before it stopped itself, would that reset it...and good to go for another 30mins?
Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:10 AM   #175
Inner Circle

yes, it would
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:38 AM   #176
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
yes, it would
Thanks Noa, well, that's something. so it doesn't need to switch off.

Thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 02:52 PM   #177
Major Player

Thanks for the info - ordered mine today. If interested, B&H just started a new bundle on the RX10. It's still the standard $998 US but tosses in an extra Sony OEM battery (normally $50) and Sony charger ($39) for free.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1009156-REG/sony_dscrx10_b_cyber_shot_dsc_rx10_digital_camera.html
Old May 3rd, 2015, 03:55 PM   #178
Inner Circle

The 30 minute recording is a clip length limitation... just find a convenient place to "double tap" record before the 1st 30 is up, and you've got another 30 to go...

It's a rather silly limitation, supposedly a left over from "another era" tax laws when still and video cameras were two entirely different animals... really should be eliminated, but it's easy enough to work around in practice.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:16 PM   #179
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
...and it can make all these changes on the fly while shooting video, and it does record audio even in 720p120 mode? Great!

Early posts seemed focused on the slow zooming - I don't see that as a big problem, but has that changed in recent months with firmware updates?

Thanks for the info. It's pretty amazing that even 1 1/2 years after its introduction the RX10 is in many ways still the best long zoom camera of this type.
I heard that when this camera was presented to one of the senior Sony execs by the developing engineers, he got a tear in his eye... it really is rather special as cameras go. Perfect, no, but close enough, and most importantly makes it fun to shoot again!

There have been rumours of an "RX20", but I think a firmware update for the existing base and a "re-issue" as a RX10Mark2 with 4K would do just fine!
Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:26 PM   #180
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
The 30 minute recording is a clip length limitation... just find a convenient place to "double tap" record before the 1st 30 is up, and you've got another 30 to go...
Thank you Dave.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders