DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-rx-cybershots-cx-series-camcorders/)
-   -   Philippines & Macau doc entirely on RX100mii (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-rx-cybershots-cx-series-camcorders/524852-philippines-macau-doc-entirely-rx100mii.html)

Jem Moore September 9th, 2014 11:18 AM

Philippines & Macau doc entirely on RX100mii

I filmed this entire doc on this little cam, which was a huge bonus when traveling to the far ends of the Philippines, and I'm still amazed by how it handled low light and challenging locations. It's not public yet, but I'd love to have your impressions...

The other three docs in this series were filmed with the FS100/FS700, but I wanted a more 'verite' look for this one, and portability, as mentioned, was a tremendous asset. It also didn't crowd the folks in a small and dark house like a large set-up would have. Even some of the sound is from the camera, believe it or not..

Password: lifetrue

Dan Carter September 9th, 2014 01:31 PM

Re: Philippines & Macau doc entirely on RX100mii

Very nicely done Jem. I enjoyed the story and images.

I agree, the RX100 series is surprisingly powerful, and therefor addicting. The RX100M3 has me leaving the GH3 and RX10 behind more often than not.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave Blackhurst September 9th, 2014 02:29 PM

Again proving that it's not necessarily the size of the camera... but the vision of the operator/director.

The RX100M2 is indeed an "underrated" tool. Very easy to handhold fairly steady, so compact and unobtrusive that it won't "effect" the ambience of where you're shooting...

While I find the RX10 is a bit more capable, the RX100M2 is a lot more "handy", the small size and weight of the RX100 series is simply brilliant, with very usable image quality. Definitely a nice tool to have in any kit.

Andrew Smith September 9th, 2014 06:01 PM

Quite good. Still wished for a bit more colour saturation along the way, which should be a trivial task to boost.

Andrew

Jem Moore September 9th, 2014 11:24 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad it's not just my personal bias in feeling like this came out looking good. Andrew, I sent an email with the sound clip, and I'm interested to know if others felt like the saturation could use boosting as well. Thanks again...Jem

Noa Put September 10th, 2014 01:17 AM

I don't find it needs added saturation, it's not a wedding :) Sony camera's usually give very natural looking colors, unless you start using presets (not sure if this camera has presets like vivid?) and for docu style films that's what I would prefer. It's actually amazing you can have a production tool that fits in a pocket.

Jem Moore September 10th, 2014 01:23 AM

Thanks Noa, I just didn't know if my monitor might be calibrated too vivid, so it's nice to get a range of opinions. I was really impressed with the low light section inside the house, you can see that there is only one small tube light on the ceiling of each room, and I had no added light, yet it still looks quite good I think. Doc in a pocket! lots of fun...and although the camera does have presets, I didn't use any, in fact most of it was filmed using the 'intelligent' setting which allowed the cam to White Balance and choose aperture.

Andrew Smith September 10th, 2014 02:04 AM

Actually I've now got a copy on my professional video monitor .. and it looks perfectly good to me, give or take some unavoidable colour cast issues due to the change in lighting sources in different areas (easily fixed).

Beginning to wonder what I was thinking. (sigh)

Andrew

PS. I've sent those audio files back.

PPS. I'm just very picky, that's all.

Jem Moore September 10th, 2014 02:56 AM

Ha ha, I know what you mean Andrew, I spent so many hours trying to get something *just* right, color is the hardest for me because I really don't have an eye for it....framing, OTH, I think I'm doing pretty good at...the sound files came out great, BTW, nice work with Isotope, pretty powerful stuff.