DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-rx-cybershots-cx-series-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony CX730 / PJ780VE become faulty ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-rx-cybershots-cx-series-camcorders/526070-sony-cx730-pj780ve-become-faulty.html)

James Manford December 12th, 2014 02:54 PM

Sony CX730 / PJ780VE become faulty ?

Need some help from users of these models.

I rarely use the video light function on my PJ780VE (basically the CX730) ... all of a sudden today I can not seem to get the following to work.

NIGHTSHOT - LIGHT - PLAY - PROJECTOR

These buttons are in a straight line right next to each other and they seem to have become disabled !?

I tried re-setting the camcorder but with no luck.

The camcorder has not been exposed to the rain or anything.

Any ideas ? everything else on the camcorder seems to be working as normal.

Noa Put December 13th, 2014 02:37 AM

Re: Sony CX730 / PJ780VE become faulty ?

One of my 2 cx730's only records audio to one channel since 2 months, this hasn't anything to do with your problem but maybe after some time of use things just can fail for whatever reason, the little cams are packed with electronica and especially the 780 with it's build in projector so they might be more sensitive to problems. My nex-ea50 had one of the 2 menu dials stop working after I just got it and when I sold the camera one year later it miraculously started working again so another example of Sony engineering :) The problem often is when you are outside warranty these handycams are too cheap to have the serviced as that could cost as much as a new camera.

James Manford December 13th, 2014 04:52 AM

It's unacceptable really ... my CX730 started throwing up a fuzzy seized boot screen but then fixed itself at which time I sold it as seen as it was too risky for professional use. I then purchased a new pj780ve which worked fine but now those four buttons have magically stopped working without any damage to the camcorder.

You're right about replacement costs being cheaper than servicing it.

Ron Evans December 13th, 2014 07:03 AM

You may want to try plugging into mains power, resetting and then leaving for a while with power on mains. If the internal battery gets too low I think strange things can happen. Usually if left for a while without any battery attached. First obvious thing is the date and time may have changed.

Ron Evans

James Manford December 13th, 2014 09:36 AM

Done that Ron ... still no luck.

So far I have hit the RESET button, touched the 'Initialize' function (also does a reboot) using a fully charged battery. I have connected it to the MAINS power and hit Reset / Initialize - still no luck.

I have disabled many functions, re-enabled many functions.

It's as if those 4 buttons cease to work. Which means my camcorder does not have a projector, nightshot or video light. You can still access playback via the touch menu.

Dave Blackhurst December 14th, 2014 02:30 PM

I'll second the complexity of modern electronics... they are tough to work on, and parts availability seems to be more and more problematic.

You are probably correct that the buttons in question are on a "daughterboard", connected to the other innards by a flex cable which can sometimes become disconnected/unseated at either end. The odds of 4 buttons in close proximity failing together is small, it's more likely a flex cable or perhaps something on the daughterboard. It "may" be a relatively easy fix for someone experienced with camera repair based on your description.

Not sure that's of much comfort, but at least gives you some insight under the hood?

James Manford December 14th, 2014 07:05 PM

Hi Dave

Yep, i'm hoping it's a case of a loose flex cable. As it doesn't make sense that all four buttons should stop working.

I won't bother getting it repaired as I simply don't use the fuctions. But it vex's me knowing that my camcorder has become faulty even though I meticulously take care of my gear.