Sony rx10 slow response at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old June 28th, 2015, 03:30 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony rx10 slow response

Ever since I updated my rx10 to the latest firmware I have been getting issues during the weddingday with a slow response that gradually becomes worse while using it. Like in the morning when I first start up the camera and start shooting everything reacts snappy but as the day moves on everything I do from starting up the camera to pressing the buttons on the camera, changing iso or even when zooming or just pressing record, everything slows down to a point where I have to wait up to 5 seconds before anything happens, no matter what I do with the camera, it has a effect on every functionality. It becomes so worse at the end of the evening that I start missing important shots because I"m staring at my lcd screen waiting fro something to happen. Just to give an example, I press record, nothing happens, I press again and then it starts recording but stops again because my button presses activate seconds after I pressed them. Or I start to zoom but nothing happens and I need to hold the zoom switch for at least 5 seconds before it even will start to zoom and we all know what that means with the creeping slow zoom of the rx10.

The next day in the morning everything works ok again, is there anyone else that has experienced this problem as well? I"m shooting 50p avchd 28mbs so it's not that it's the xavc codec that is overheating the camera. Not sure if that is possible but I was thinking to go back to the original firmware because then all worked just fine.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 01:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony rx10 slow response

I had this problem recently and re-formatting the SD card cured it.
Old July 20th, 2015, 02:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Would it be that simple? Thx for letting me know, I have deleted the contents from the card the last weddings but now I formatted it, will see what happens at next wedding and report back. I certainly hope this cures the problem because it really starts to annoy me. Maybe I"ll just replace the card with a faster one, I have used a class 10 45mbs 32gb card untill now but I"ll test it next time with a 128gb extreme pro card that has a 95mbs speed (which I bought to shoot raw with my black magic pocket cam) so I can record in the xavc codec, this card hardly gets used so I better put it to good use.
Old July 20th, 2015, 05:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I also switched from NTSC to PAL and then back again to NTSC.
Old July 20th, 2015, 06:16 AM   #5
Inner Circle

We should make a handbook with tricks to take weird behavior out of Sony Camera's, my sony nex-ea50 had one of the dials stop working after a few months and then one year later start to work again, sonys camera's are packed with electronics and I guess those things can display weird behavior now and then.
Also my rx10 had a while that the zoom returned to it's previous position when I switched the camera off and on again, something that disappeared after a few weeks. Thx for the extra tip, will try whatever makes the delay go away.
Old July 20th, 2015, 06:51 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Noa, don't know whether Sony has the same on the RX10, but on the Panasonic FZ1000, the zoom can be set to retain the previous setting when switched off, or reset to wide. You may have inadvertently triggered something similar.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 07:46 AM   #7
Inner Circle

To my knowledge the camera is not supposed to be doing that as I was the only one that has reported this behavior before in this forum and I never saw anyone mentioning it, it just came and went away again without me touching anything in the menu, below is a video I still had about that. Since the camera is able to do that it means that Sony is locking that function on purpose but a glitch in my camera made it active for a while. Or maybe it's supposed to do that and it doesn't work on my camera :)

Old August 9th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Spring View Post
I had this problem recently and re-formatting the SD card cured it.
I used a new and fast card last wedding which normally was designed to support high bitrate and I didn't experience the slower response anymore and I even shot in the higher bitrate xavc codec, so thx for bringing the card into attention :)
Old August 9th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #9
Inner Circle

While I wouldn't have thought of the memory card, it doesn't surprise me. I've dealt with NUMEROUS buyers that got their memory cards on a famous yard sale/flea market site (mostly import cards from China/HK), who said their cameras were defective... replace with a known good card, "problems" vanish!

I just had bought some nice SDXC U1 cards... then of course Sony announced updates to firmware and SDXC U3 became the "minimum" required for higher bitrate... so another upgrade... On the plus side, downloads are much faster, and I've probably avoided other camera "issues". I may even eliminate the 64G cards and just stay with 128G 95Mb/s or faster...

I guess that with the rapid increases in file sizes, bitrates, and resolution (60p will no doubt be yet another memory class jump), it's to be expected that you have to buy the biggest, fastest, highest spect'dest memory you can find!

It's sort of tricky, since ANY SD card or memory stick PD will fit in the slot, but if you don't have a genuine one with high end specs, you "could" have trouble.

On the PAL/NTSC thing, if you switch between the two, on every consumer Sony I've dealt with, it will refuse to record - the cards seem to be formatted slightly differently. I would think if one had a "pro" "world cam" that would be different?

Glad you found the "glitch", always good when ya squash a bug!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders