RX10, a few questions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old July 15th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #1
Trustee

RX10, a few questions?

I do not stay up to date on cameras in this class. But I am researching a "kit" I am recommending for an out of state client of mine so he can do some shooting of his own in his office.

Here is the B&H link for the exact model I am considering:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1009156-REG/sony_dscrx10_b_cyber_shot_dsc_rx10_digital_camera.html
Here is the lens description from that B&H page:

Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 8.3x Optical Zoom Lens
The built-in Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-200mm, covering wide-angle to full telephoto perspectives to suit working in a wide variety of situations. The fast constant f/2.8 maximum aperture enables enhanced low-light capabilities as well as greater control over focus placement for selective focus imagery. The lens also features 7 aspheric elements for reduced aberrations and a Carl Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating to help minimize lens flare and ghosting in order to produce imagery with rich contrast and clarity.

Is it really possible that this camera has a 35mm equivalent lens of 24mm-200mm at a constant aperture of F2.8? I must be missing something? I know it is a fixed Sony lens but it is also Ziess badged. For $900.00.... are you kidding me??? A camera like this, with a lens like this, is that what I am missing or am I missing something in the specs? I pay much more than that for my lenses.....without a camera sticking out of them ;-) ;-) ;-)

The client is going to be shooting 3 minute testimonials from a tripod. He has no need for the 4K new release. This looks too good to be true!

There will also be staff members using this camera that have no knowledge of video or still shooting at all. I am also recommending LCD light panels as well. Because, as we know, just because you have F2.8 does not mean you should use it.

Steve
Old July 16th, 2015, 09:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: RX10, a few questions?

Yes. It's all true. I own the RX100 Mk IV which has the same sensor. These cameras are officially redonkulous.

It sounds like the RX10 II is a great choice for the client's use.
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:07 PM   #3
Trustee

I am going to recommend the original model. He has no use for 4k at all. Besides the 4k is there any other reason the second generation would be worth $500.00 more?

Thank You,

Steve
Old July 16th, 2015, 01:26 PM   #4
Major Player

I haven't tested the two, but it's likely the new chip will have better low-light. Other then slow-mo (which they may likely not use) it's probably a toss-up.
Old July 17th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #5
Trustee

It's a great camera. I have been using the RX10 for a while now and really fits in with my current gear and workflow.

Video is great and the stills are great also. Image on the video side gets a bit noisy at ISO 3500 and over but hey… at that price it will do.

In fact my new go to kit is a Sony RX10 and Sony A7s. These fit into a backpack and I'm good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
RX10, a few questions?-rxa7kit.jpg  
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The primary difference on the M2 is the sensor - which may have less RS (immaterial if the subject is sitting and the cam is on tripod, IMO). There will probably be some other minor improvements, but I'm not in a hurry to upgrade my "mark1", I'll wait for prices to drop as they always do (see below).

The answer is yes, the camera is really that stupid good, yes it really DOES have some amazing glass for the money, and is now showing up used at ridiculous prices on ebay (I've seen well below $750...). Patience might yield one closer to $600... Not bad for a camera that can hold its own against many "competitors", and should stay "current" for several more years at least (how many cameras can do THAT?!).

Look around, and you'll find that many "pros" picked one up as a "backup", and end up using it as much or more than the "main" camera. It is "only" a smallish sensor, but much bigger than the old "consumer" class cameras.

Be sure to have the client get the firmware update (easy install if he gets "old stock"), and SDXC U3 class cards (seem to start at 64GB) so he can shoot XAVCS at the higher bitrates for best image quality.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #7
Trustee

Grab some extra batteries and a battery charger. I found a battery/charger combo for the price of a battery.

I get around 1hr in video mode per battery.
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:03 AM   #8
Trustee

I sold my RX10 and waited for this model for a few months. I have only had the Mark II for 1 day (about 2 hours of shooting) but holy smoke, this thing is crazy. I LOVE the 4k and it's high speed frame rate in HD that is close to 1000 frames a second...it's freakish!

Another thing for video is SLOG-2 Gamma curve. With it, the Mark II does NOT blow out highlights the may the original tends to do. With SLOG-2, you can capture about 12 stops of dynamic range which is reportedly the full DR of the sensor. If you are shooting in a "standard" rec709 gamma the way the original RX10 does, you will get somewhere in the 7 stop area. (roughly)

I think the Mark II's dynamic range in video could be it's most dramatic upgrade. (Slog-2) If you dont need 4k, you can still take advantage of SLOG-2 in 1080.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I was thinking about replacing my rx10 with the mark 2 until I saw it's introductory price which is double of what I have to pay for the mark 1, since it still appears to have the same DR in rec709 gamma I don't find it worth getting it now and wait long enough until the price drops, and it will, considerably. I only was hoping for a faster zoom as that makes my life very difficult at this moment but the price difference is too big to justify a purchase. Cliff, how much faster is the zoom while shooting video compared to the older version?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 11:41 AM   #10
Trustee

Zoom seems completely the same. When not recording, it zooms quicker for framing your shot, when recording it slows down for recording just like the original RX10.

I dont think they changed the lens motor and servo at all. it still only has one fixed speed for zooming while recording.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #11
Inner Circle

That's bad news, now I know for sure I won't buy it, that slow zoom has been a continuous frustration and the cause of several missed shots. I like almost everything else about this camera and it's disappointing that Sony didn't add more zoom speeds.

Are you sure about the zoomspeed when recording though, I have seen they added a choice for zoomspeed in the menu, have you tried changing that?
Old July 25th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #12
Trustee

Thank for the input guys.

Noa, here in the US they are $900.00 for M1 and $13.000.00 for M2

Lens spec blows me away.

Steve
Old July 25th, 2015, 01:51 PM   #13
Inner Circle

The rx10 is here 830 euro and the mark 2 is 1600 euro...
Edit: just found a rx10 for 800 euro, so twice as cheap as the mark 2, the lens is great but I find the camera a bit underwhelming when it gets too dark, that's when my gh3/4 take over, but in good light it's a great camera to shoot with. If I have to believe cliff the DR has not changed unless you shoot s-log2 but I still need to see how easy that is to color correct in order to match with other camera's.
Old July 25th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #14
Trustee

I think the RX10-M1 still has a life left and looking at the RX10-M2 the only thing that interests me is the hi speed frame rate. 4K is not part of my work flow yet…

I'm wondering if the RX10-M2 has the Cine Gamma profiles?
Old July 26th, 2015, 03:04 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Had one for a few days now, I'm going to disagree on the zoom, 'normal' is dead slow and 'faster' for sure is a little faster.
The 4k image is superb BUT well done Sony - active steadyshot and viewfinder brightness is disabled in 4k!
For me the biggest weakness of the original RX10 was the poor stabilization, to take away the active setting and make the view finding more difficult in bright light just when it's even more important on a 4k image is just plain dumb.
Guess for all the marketing the new chip has not got so much space after all.

Thanks
Paul
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders