RX100 Mk IV Impressions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old July 16th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Major Player

RX100 Mk IV Impressions

First impression: Holy crap! This thing is amazing! ... with a couple caveats.

4k recording is limited. Not just in length (5 mins max) but also in frequency. I recorded two 5 minute videos at 1080/120p at 100mbps (which is an awesome format) followed by two sets of 5 minute 4k clips. By the second 4k clip the camera reported overheating about 2 minutes in and shut down 3 minutes in. However, even sony says those modes are time limited due to overheating... so it shouldn't be surprising that doing several of these in a row can cause a lot of heat.

But then there's the 240 fps HFR mode. Wow. With both start and end-trigger support, this is pretty much game changing. It supports up to 2 seconds (in best quality) high frame-rate recording and it looks amazing. This, combined with SLog2 support, picture profiles and the ability to do timelapses (an extra $9.99 app on the device... which I already owned because I bought it for the RX100 and the license works on both devices.) makes this a near perfect B-camera to my A7S or even a great stand-alone option while traveling. (I did use my RX100 Mk II for several TV shows as a B-Roll camera and it worked good...this will be a lot better.) I can definitely see myself setting this camera to go do a time-lapse by itself while I'm still shooting primary.

Yes, it's not cheap. Especially after adding a leather case (I ordered the Gariz case. The Sony Mk II case is slightly too large) and extra batteries. But nothing else I've seen can do what this tiny thing can do at the level with the quality it can do it.
Old July 17th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: RX100 Mk IV Impressions

Two thoughts, does the heat issue improve any with the LCD out from the body (it "should", as the LCD also creates heat, and sits against the back of the body/sensor when closed)... and can you put a small fan pointing on it to help the wee thing dissipate all the inevitable heat? I know the second is somewhat impractical for a "pocket rocket", but... if one is using in a "controlled environment", might be worth exploring (if your RX10M2 wasn't handy <wink>)?
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders