Rx10 ii lens wobble while zoom and does noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old September 3rd, 2015, 10:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rx10 ii lens wobble while zoom and does noise

I have just bouth this camera yesterday and apart from the AF issue that this camera have and is that you can not lock AF by pressing the shutter button while recording video

RX10 II LENS WOBBLE WHILE ZOOM AND DOES NOISE

I find this as another annoying issue! I dont know if i have a faulty model but if this normal its bad and ofcource i will return it back
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Rx10 ii lens wobble while zoom and does noise

I have the RX10 M1 and this has the same issue, at first I thought it was a fault and returned the camera in person and wanted to test another camera in-store which we did, both cameras from different batches exhibited the same issue.

It's ok though as I don't really zoom while recording and if I do it's to reframe so I'm cool with this. For a camera at that price and what it does, I'll live with this.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

As a rx10 mark1 owner I also would say this is normal, you can test it by zooming out completely and than take the front end of the lens and wiggle a bit with it, you will notice it's not solid and you can move it. My rx10 doesn't show it that much during zoom because it takes a full 13 sec to go from wide to tele, something I absolutely hate about this version because it has caused me to miss some shots at a wedding.

The noise you hear is also normal, zooming with this camera is only to reframe your shot.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thank you for the reply

tha camera in europe is way more expensive than the us and that makes it even more not a good choice for me.

maybe i will never zoom so fast or i will never use the internal mic but this 2 issues bothers me when a camera like this cost this much and does not do the basics i want
Old September 4th, 2015, 01:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
As a rx10 mark1 owner I also would say this is normal, you can test it by zooming out completely and than take the front end of the lens and wiggle a bit with it, you will notice it's not solid and you can move it. My rx10 doesn't show it that much during zoom because it takes a full 13 sec to go from wide to tele, something I absolutely hate about this version because it has caused me to miss some shots at a wedding.

The noise you hear is also normal, zooming with this camera is only to reframe your shot.
I can skip the noise by adding a mic and i will get a better sound overall in quality and everything

the wobble on the rx10 first version is less cause its slow fuction in the RX10ii in fast zoom its become worst.

i wanted this camera to be a b camera to my cinematography videos and hopefully an A camera in traditional videography service that i dont do much , only 1-3 per year..

this wobble in zoom willl make the look very unprofesional and its better to send it back and buy something else that fits my needs
Old September 4th, 2015, 01:35 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If you want controlled zooms you are better of with a real videocamera, I"d be happy with that wobbly zoom but not at it's current price which is double of what a rx10 mark 1 costs. I only zoom to reframe a shot and cut the zoom out in post, with the rx10 mark 1 I can't do that because when something important happens and I am zooming out to correct the frame I often need to include the zoom as well because it takes so long.
Old September 4th, 2015, 02:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

true

the price of the RX10ii is whats dissapoints me

if it was less i could live with the wobble

i believe an A6000+ 18-105 will give me the best result and at a far better price
Old September 4th, 2015, 02:13 AM   #8
Inner Circle

But you would be missing out on some features like no 4K, no slog, no high framerates, no constant f2.8 lens etc. The only strong point I see on the a6000 is it's autofocus capabilities.
Old September 4th, 2015, 02:20 AM   #9
Trustee

Stick with the RX10 M2 It will be a great camera producing fantastic images.
Old September 4th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #10
Inner Circle

But fantastic images won't help if a smooth operating zoomlens is a requirement. :)
Old September 4th, 2015, 04:56 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
But you would be missing out on some features like no 4K, no slog, no high framerates, no constant f2.8 lens etc. The only strong point I see on the a6000 is it's autofocus capabilities.
thanks for this

i can also go for a 24-240 on the A7s i allready have . plus am getting the assasin and i will get for sure the a7sii or the fs1 .

the 24-240 will give better low light with the ff sensor and the bokeh will be better anyway...

apart from the wobble and the very bizzare way of doing focus the cameras is good
Old September 4th, 2015, 04:58 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
But fantastic images won't help if a smooth operating zoomlens is a requirement. :)

thats true

:)

and its a bit of a shame! that is why am thinking of the 24-240 to my a7s
Old September 4th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #13
Trustee

I use the RX10 as my backup or second camera in interviews etc… also I use this a lot inside of cars or where I need a lot of movement. The lens wobble during zoom is really unacceptable from Sony.

I also have a A7s with the Sony 28-135mm f4 and the Sony 18-200mm which I find a great combo.
Old September 5th, 2015, 01:45 AM   #14
Trustee

No lens wobble on my new rx10ii at all, its solid.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 02:38 AM   #15
Trustee

Thats fantastic Steve, so if this is true it means I have a faulty camera and also Anthony.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders