Anybody using Bluetooth? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old June 19th, 2003, 09:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anybody using Bluetooth?

I'm just curious, if anybody is actually using this strange feature. It looks like Sony conitues to push it, despite a lack of user enthusiasm:

http://www.commsdesign.com/story/OEG20030617S0036

Here is some blurb about future Bluetooth standard evolution:

http://www.commsdesign.com/story/OEG20030618S0035

Basically it states that after two more Bluetooth generations we might be able to transfer video to computer, finally. No mention when this happens though.
Vladimir Koifman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Bluetooth is used in communication. To attach a wireless headset
to your cellphone for example. In theory it might be able to do
video transfers as well, but I have never heard of it before now.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 10:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Rob, actually I meant Sony is integrating Bluetooth into video cameras now. I implied to ask if anybody of Sony camera owners is using this thing now, in its current incarnation in their cameras.
Vladimir Koifman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 03:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I believe that this only applies to the TRV 950 as it is not present on the PDX10 !!
Old June 23rd, 2003, 07:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I had a brand new TRV-950. It developed a tape transport issue very early in its life and was exchanged for a PDX-10.

The Bluetooth thing looked to me to be a way for Sony to scam subscription money from their customers. Who would want to surf the internet from a 3 x 5 screen?

The elimination of an unwanted, unneeded feature was one of several reasons I opted to move up to the PDX-10
Old June 23rd, 2003, 11:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Can I use my Bluetooth headset with those BT enabled Sony cam so I can record comments while I'm filming ? ;)
Dany Nativel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 09:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Dany Nativel : Can I use my Bluetooth headset with those BT enabled Sony cam so I can record comments while I'm filming ? ;) -->>>

No, I don't think you can. Actually, Sony very limited possible Bluetooth functions.

For example, they could make remote control operating via Bluetooth, rather than IR. Then remote could work without being in a line of sight to camera. This would be much more convenient, in my opinion.

Also, they could stream low-resolution video from LCD via bluetooth, so you can get it on your PDA or bluetooth-enabled cellphone.
This basically gives you detachable LCD display for framing in some tricky shooting positions, when LCD or viewfinder are inconvenient.

Instead Sony opted for a very limited gimmicky BT profiles with no actual value for the user (in my opinion).
Vladimir Koifman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion