CCD-VX3 replacement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old June 26th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #1
Tourist

CCD-VX3 replacement

I'm ready to move in to the digital world and replace my faithful CCD-VX3, but I need some advice. I'm interested in the TRV-950 primarily because of it's size, but I just came across descriptions of Sony's new DVD based cameras (DCR DVD-100,200,300). While they look like basic consumer grade cameras I'm wondering when or if Sony will develop a 3CCD DVD based camera.

I'm ready to make a purchase in the near future (2-4 weeks) but if Sony has something in the 950 category that will be coming out in the next few months I can postpone my purchase.

Any thoughts? Anyone out there with a crystal ball?
Bob Strandberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #2
Outer Circle

The best 3 CCD hand-helds are the GL2, PDX10 and PV-DV953, in my opinion. The only new 3 CCD hand-held release that I am aware of is the Pana Japanese Domestic GS100. Perhaps next year there will be a VX2000/PD150 and XL1S replacement.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #3
Permanently Banned

The pro cameras start with the PDX10 with 16:9 chipset. Then there is DVX with Century Optics anamorphic adapter to get 16:9, then comes the JVC HD10 with HD, but too many defficiencies so it is basically only useable for lowest end indie film production. If you want the best low light capability, try 4:3 aspect Sony VX2000 and PD150. All these are good prosumer cameras.
Joseph George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 04:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I would recommend the PDX10 at this time, I really don't think that a DVD format would be helpful if I wanted to edit my shot's. I can say that my PDX10 is for the $ really the best choice for me. 16.9 decent lens and great sound all in a very small package. If I wanted a larger camera then the PD150 or GL2. But the PDX10 is a great Gun and Run Cam for me.
Timothy Eno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 12:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Beware of any DVD format camera at this time. Look at the figures. You shoot an hour of Mini DV and end up with something like 13gb of information. You burn this to DVD and comfortably fit it onto a 4gb disc. Where does the other information go? It's simply discarded, thrown away, abandoned, binned.

Do you really want to use such compression up front? No, of course you don't. DVD is just a stop-gap technology, and already we're seeing the solid state mempry card idea come to fruition. Tape is cheep and cheerful and holds staggering amounts of information in a tiny package, but the 10 gig storage cards are just around the corner. and their day will surely come.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #6
Tourist

Thanks for the comments, especially your arguments against going straight to DVD Tom. I decided to get the TRV950. I couldn't quite justify the extra $300 for the PDX10 for what I'm going to use the camera for. I just wish the 950 had a little better low-light performance.

Thanks again.
Bob Strandberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion