PDX10 for weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old August 12th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PDX10 for weddings

I'm trying to decide between the Pannasonic DVC80 and the PDX10. For professional weddings, which would you recommend? I know the Panny is technically better, but for the price, is it that much better? (As a reference, the Panny is similar to the Sony PD150)

Thank you all SO MUCH!!!
Matthew DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 01:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello,

The PDX10 is a fine camera... But if you are going to compare it to the Panasonic, which I believe has a better low light performance... I would probably go for the camera that has the better low light performance.. Because shooting weddings will not always be under good light conditions.. whether it is in some churches or reception halls.

Mike
Old August 13th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

If you are thinking of spending 3000 + on a PD-150 then I would consider the Panasonic DVX100. First off it can deliver 24 fps and delivers amazing video quailty for a reasonable price. The PDX-10 will not handle low light situations of weddings and will also give some vertical smearing to your picture when brighter light enters the lense. That is not going to be easy to fix when trying to get those spontanious moments that can only be recorded by the camera one time. If you miss it and you happen to get vertical smearing because of lighting then your shot is ruined. I don't know much about the DVC80 so I can't answer your question. But you should consider the low light circumstances you will be shooting under.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 12:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I am not considering the PD150. Otherwise, yes, I would be getting the DVX100. The DVC80 is by all means the PD150's main competitor, but for only $2349 at B&H!!

So, the PDX10 is out of the running. Would you pay $750 for Progressive Scan is this is your first camcorder purchase?

(I know I know. Not the right forum but the PDX10 brought us here!)
Matthew DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 09:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Weddings

I use the PDX for weddings and except for the low light it is fine. I thought it would do better than it does. Off of a tripod it doesn't sit really comfortably in my hand as well. Other than those 2 things I love it.
Al
Alan Herr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #6
Wrangler

I shot a wedding for some friends this past Tuesday with my PDX10 and a VX2000 on loan.

The light level was so low that the VX2000 produced a somewhat useable picture and the PDX10 was worthless. After the ceremony I had the lights kicked up a notch and the VX2000 looked great and the PDX10 was marginal.

I expected this and was the sole reason I brought along the VX2000. I value 16:9 more than low light performance and in good lighting the PDX10 has a much cleaner picture especially with its no resolution loss widescreen mode and increased angle of view.

I had a small on-camera light on the PDX10 for after wedding comments and that turned out very well (if you like the deer in headlights look). :)
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion