DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   My Quest for PDX10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/14035-my-quest-pdx10.html)

Ram Ramanan September 2nd, 2003 08:32 PM

My Quest for PDX10

Initially I checked with BH Photo & J&R on the availability over the phone and PDX10 was out of stock from both these reputed dealers last week.
Despite of all the negative fdbk I wanted to give another chance to NY based crook shops. Here is a brief history;
1) Camera Express: Confirmed the price 1669 + Acces 269 + 120 Shipping (?). 30 min. later someone called to confirm(?) my order and demanded to buy access with pdx10 totalling $3,500. He harrassed me until I told him to cancel my order.
2) Digial Experts: Cut a deal with the salesman for $2000 incl. ground shipping and one filter ($19). Same day shipping called to say that they are shipping my order. Next business day called to get the tracking and I was told, my order wasn't shipped because of an unexpected problem(?) and and I was transferred to the manager(?) to hear that the camcorder is back ordered and it will take 4-6 weeks or more hinting me to bail out.
3) ???? Digital: As expected web order followed by a phone call to verify whether I am interested to buy access. at a rip off price (regular $19 UV filter for $99).
I tried atleast couple of other places before bailing out.
When I am dealing with these NY shops, I felt like that all these salesmen work for the same shop and speak in the same tone.
They even doing business under different names.

Today Tuesday, just before leaving from work I checked BH Photo site once again and there it is ...PDX10 IN STOCK for $1999. (Email to get this price). Called the sales and ordered it. Salesman asked me if I need anything else. I ordered tiffen UV filter and couple of tapes. The tiffen UV filter is $10 and 2 tapes $8 and shipping via ground for $21 the total cost of my order was around $2040. Just $40 more than the "best deal" I never got.
I never got any preasure from the sales (gentle)man to buy anything. What a wonderful service.
The best part is that returns within 7 days will not be charged restocking fee. Great customer service. BH even told me how many PDX10s they got in stock. No wonder the best wins all the time. After dealing with BH sales and order confirmiration depts, I felt like my camcorder is already in my hand. I know that if I tried harder I could have saved $100 or more. Well, atleast I am certain that I am buying a good product from a good vendor and I am willing to pay that extra $100 for the satisfaction and the honor of doing business with the good people.

I still believe that every one deserve a second chance but not miilion chances for these crooks shops to thrive on weak and uneducated customers.

Dear fellow members, next time when you shop always remember If a deal sounds too good to be true... yes... you guessed it.

Frank Granovski September 2nd, 2003 08:40 PM

You can always check up on a dealer's neg/pos feedback here:

http://www.resellerratings.com

Also, use our seach for that PC World article about the NY "crooks" you mention. The article is a real 'eye-opener.'

Boyd Ostroff September 2nd, 2003 08:58 PM

Congratulations on your purchase Ram, and thanks for confirming what I've always suspected about these ripoff artists.

Ram Ramanan September 2nd, 2003 09:14 PM

Foot Note:
Some of these crook shops got incredible ratings in yahoo and other portals. I wonder how can this happen? Yahoo doesn't give any details of these "store" ratings. It will be helpful if the shopper is provided with detail reviews given by the buyers.
One of my orders was placed through the yahoo store and later it was canceled during the follow-up phone call (to ripoff).
Yahoo, so far has not contacted me for their store rating survey. Do they exclude the canceled orders from the ratings? This is unacceptable.

Tommy Haupfear September 4th, 2003 02:57 PM

I value resellerratings.com way more than I do Yahoo ratings.

Patrick Grealy September 5th, 2003 04:02 AM

You should visit the B&H shop ion NYC. I did recently (from Europe) and was super impressed with the demo facilities for camcorders, expscially the high end ones like the SONY DVCAM range.

I could have played for hours!!

I bought over $1300 worth of stuff from DVCAM tapes to an Apple iPod and some pro-audio sample disks.

Hugely impressed!!

Regards P

Scott Plowman September 9th, 2003 04:28 PM

B&H all the way.. these other guys are wasting your time.. I just went through the deal and thank god I made it out with my money in the end. Took me 4 weeks to get my money back. Orderd in stock (supposedly) from Ibuy digital.. strung me along with the well ge it by the end of the week deal.. charged card.. Kept stringing me along.. Then i cancelled they had to give me a charge back since they charged the card .. even though they didnt ship it.. took another 5 days to get that balanced back to me... What a nightmare..

Imagine if i could advertise on a nifty website these cameras undercut everyone 200 $ or so and get them to order from me.. How many orders for a couple thousand dollars could i generate?? .. several.. 10 or 20 maybe.. WOW look at the interest free operating capital i have generated.. what a racket.. If you ever get your money back back in the first place..

I assure you it creates anxiety awaiting one of these outfitsd to refund you your money on your charge card.. i had a hard time sleeping at night worrying I wouldnt.. It all worked out in the end.. 4 weeks later.. geeesshhh

Ordered my camera on a sunday from B&H recieved it wednesday.. That was greatly appreciated after the riggim and roll i got from Ibuy... just my 2 cents from my experience.

Tommy Haupfear September 9th, 2003 05:22 PM

I agree with B&H for the PDX10. They were very knowledgeable and mostly they were polite! I bought just the cam and it was only $1850.

I would have ordered from OneCall but they do not carry DVCAM.

Cooleye Hu September 9th, 2003 07:55 PM

question about the price,

I have checked the B&H and the price is still $1999, I am wondering how you cut the price to $1850? Thank you

Tommy Haupfear September 9th, 2003 08:04 PM

Sony and B&H had a huge DVCAM sale going on a month back.

Wouldn't hurt to call and see if they could honor that price post sale.

Here are a few 16:9 frame grabs from my PDX10.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=441334

Cooleye Hu September 9th, 2003 09:07 PM

hi tommy,

I have been watching the pdx10 price for more than 3 monthes and have never noticed the big dvcam sale, and as I remember the pdx10 in B&H has been out of stock two weeks ago and before that it was listed $2175, and if you ask for the better price through email you get $1999...so did you get a special promotion from B&H?

Well it does not hurt to telephone them , however been a non-native speaker, it always makes me nervous to talk through the telephone, and it will be even more difficult for me to negotiate the price...maybe I will have a try in the following days, but I feel the chances are slim for me to get that $1850 price...

Tommy Haupfear September 9th, 2003 09:39 PM

I ordered the PDX10 on 7/24/2003 which was part of a two day event that I had no idea about until I called and asked for a better price.

Call them up and mention my last name and the day I ordered and see if they can give you that price.

The worst they can do is say NO

Below are the deals from the Sony Pro Event at B&H
August 23,24 2003

SPECIALS FOR STORE & PHONE TRANSACTIONS:

10% off all PVM monitors
150.00 off the DSR PDX10
150.00 off the DSR PD150
200.00 off the DSR 250
500.00 off the DSR 390 -- ENG configurations only
800.00 off the DSR 570
1000.00 off the DXC-D33
150.00 off the DSR 11
200.00 off the DSR 25
200.00 off the DSR 30
250.00 off the DSR 45
250.00 off the DSR DU1
250.00 off the DSR-DR1000
500.00 off the DSR 2000
75.00 off any configuration of UWP wireless.

Cooleye Hu September 9th, 2003 10:04 PM

thank you very much tommy, I will try to see what they say.