Misplaced Warranty Card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old September 4th, 2003, 09:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Misplaced Warranty Card

I seem to have misplaced the warranty card that came with my PDX-10. I know, I know--it seems hard to understand, but things have been incredibly hectic around here this past month. I can almost convince myself that I did mail it off--not really sure. Pretty embarassing.

Man, I need a vacation, clearly...

Anyway--it's my understanding that the warranty card is an unnecesary thing--that the warranty is in force whether I mail that in or not. I know that to be true about many products, that it is mostly for the company to collect consumer information, and have you on file in case of a recall, etc--is it true for this Sony? Am I safe, despite my brainlock?

Thanks!
Chris Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 08:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I believe you can activate your warrenty on-line by going to sony's site and filling out the proper form.All you need is the cam in front of you so you can get the serial # off the bottom.
KennJ
Old September 6th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #3
Warden

The Magnuson-Moss Act states that warranty cards do not need to be mailed in for the warranty to be in effect in the US. However, a dated sales receipt (proof of purchase) showing purchase within the specified time frame may be required for the warranty to be in effect. The serial number will establish that the camera is not a gray market camera and is eligible for the manufactures US warranty.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Is thier a place you can check your serial number to make sure it is not a grey market unit?
Dan Tolbertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #5
Warden

Only the manufacture has that information. I don't know of any manufacture that publishes a list of serial numbers in relationship to gray market importation. If you call the camera manufacture they will usually advise you of the importation status of the camera.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2003, 05:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks to all for the replies--I especially appreciate the knowledge that there is legislation covering this. That is great news! I feel much better now...

Just got back from taping hang-gliding at Jockey's Ridge in Nags Head, on the outer Banks of North Carolina. Windy, rainy (the remnants of Hurricane Henri)--anything over 17 miles an hour, I was told, makes the sand fly--and it did! I used Saran Wrap (plastic food wrap) and tape in judicious amounts, and the camera came through beautifully! Great shots, nice quality.

The Banks are now bracing for Hurricane Isabel--I just drove home from there today.
Chris Long is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion