PDX10 Vs. DV953 (Pan) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old September 30th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #16
Trustee

Which of the 2 cams has the better LCD and EVF?
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:08 PM   #17
Wrangler

The PDX10 has a sharper LCD with more pixels and has a high resolution B&W viewfinder that really helps in manual focusing.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #18
Outer Circle

And, again, you pay extra for this. And if you want even a better LCD and viewfinder, buy a 1/2" 3 CCD cam and buy a monitor. Anyways, I found the PV-DV953's LCD extremily sharp but its viewfinder sucks. :)

Too bad Panasonic didn't keep the great MX300 viewfinder on their MX5000/PV-DV953 and now the GS100.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #19
Trustee

Frank,

I take it you feel the 953 is the better "deal" of the 2 despite it's few shortcomings, when compared to the PDX10.

I have about a $4,000 budget for my next cam problem is:

my favorite is the DVX, forget the 24P, I just love the form factor, manual controls and host of other features which makes it the baddest DV camera out- big problem is NO 16:9- of which my TV is! (very surprising considering it's "cinema" target buyer group!!!) I actually bought one when it first came out and got rid of due to it's "WIDE" angle lens- I just couldn't get decent zoom with it! So the DVX and DVC's are out for me....

...the XL1S (which i also owned) was nice- but again soft OEM lens and NO 16:9 (forget the electronic mask 16:9 mode)...

The JVC HD10U is awesome and i have yet to own one- problem is:
all video that I'd like edited using FCP would require post processing so that the clips would be editable in FCP (vai Steve Mullen's 4HDV software) ...adding tons of steps just to get the clips in an editable form...just way too many steps involved...nice part is that it shoots 16:9 in HDTV, SD and DV......all but the DV footage (on par with regular consumer 1-CCD cams in this mode- but not spectacular- this is not why you buy an HD10U)......

.....which leaves us with either the 953 or PDX10....so far the PDX10 has the better marbles.unless there's a 16:9 camera (native) that i have overlooked????

<This is where i am at presently- any further words are much appreciated>
Old September 30th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #20
Outer Circle

Quote:
which leaves us with either the 953 or PDX10....so far the PDX10 has the better marbles; unless there's a 16:9 camera (native) that i have overlooked?
The PV-DV953's 16:9 is very good, as is the PDX10's 16:9. Both cams are not very good with lower light. The PDX10 has more features. 2 such features yet not mentioned are manual slow speed shutter settings, and the more robust DVCAM format. Other great cams and with great 16:9 are the GS100 and Optura Xi (1 CCD cam). The GS100 is only available in Japan , though, and probably won't be released in North America until about June, 2004. The GS100 is also very good with lower light. Depending on the features you need, and what's available now, I'd look at these cams mentioned:

PDX10
PV-DV953
GS100 (Japanese)
Optura Xi

I can't recall what you will be doing with a cam. Will you need XLRs? The 2 Panas and the Optura will need an XLR adaptor; the PDX10 won't.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 07:52 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Manage to borrow from a friend tested the MX500 last night.
There's no way that the MX500 (do not know is 953 is exactly the same) can beat PDX-10 or TRV-950 in low light.

To me, the video images are horrible, even my wife spotted the difference in quality comparing to my previous 950E under the same condition/environment, hooked up to the TV set.

I seriously think that one should really consider if he wants to go for a 1/6" CCD system.
Yik Kuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 10:58 PM   #22
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick : I'm slightly concerned to read that the MX500 doesn't see more wide-angle when switched into the 16:9 mode -->>>

I love my PDX-10, but someone else around here raised an interesting question. Just WHY does the PDX-10 expand the field of view for 16:9? Doesn't matter to me, because I don't shoot 4:3 on my PDX-10. However, the actual CCD's are in the 4:3 proportion (look at the still photo mode). So why doesn't Sony use the WHOLE ccd for 4:3 video? Makes me wonder if it was a marketing thing to set the camera apart from the others. But maybe there's a technical reason regarding how many pixels the camera can process or something...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:18 PM   #23
Contributor

Perhaps...

A friend thinks (and I agree with him) that the chip's bus or the DSP in the cam just can't process the full amount of pixels at video's frame rate. Not enough bandwidth. And since the CCD array is still oversampled for video even when using a smaller area, the image is still considered 'native' whether in16:9 or 4:3.

Actually, oversampled is better than 'native' resolution, cause it get's you better AD conversion, less noise, less jaggies and so on. Though I think the small size of the pixels is what makes this camera less sensitive to light than the PD150 or other lower res cameras.

Now this get's me thinking. When the camera is in 'photo' mode, it does output video at a progessive rate of 29.97 fps (but it does not record it to tape), so the CCD array can do full res at that rate but not at 60 fps. This means that if sony wanted... or perhaps via a firmware upgrade or even some hidden mode, it could do progessive scan. Now that would be really another planet: native 16:9 proscan.. wow! If you find any hidden modes, please post the info to:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15162

Currently, you can get poor man's (that's me allright) proscan by setting the shutter to 30 fps, but the result is line doubling, the usual Sony kind. However, since the CCD is still working in an oversampled 16:9 mode... it might end up being better than the XL1's proscan at 16:9. Interesting idea... anybody out there have both cams to test?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15212

Hmmmm. The more I linger around here, the crazier my ideas get, or not? I can almost hear the crowd from the XL1 forum looming towards me with torches in their hands and masks on their faces... and the torches show a strange green tail when they move...
:-)
Old October 1st, 2003, 07:34 PM   #24
Wrangler

Re: Perhaps...

<<<-- Originally posted by Ignacio Rodriguez : When the camera is in 'photo' mode, it does output video at a progessive rate of 29.97 fps

This has actually been discussed a lot, both here and on the DV.com boards. I think this is a myth which has been debunked. Evidently the camera does output something in photo mode, but not true 30p. Somebody posted frame grabs where the subject was an electronic circuit board. They looked like they had been deinterlaced and showed some stair-stepping.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:46 PM   #25
Barry Wan Kenobi

I spent some time with that "photo mode progressive" trying to find out what's what... it definitely isn't full-res progressive scan, it looks like field-doubled half-resolution. But, what's odd is that it uses the full surface of the chip, so you get a slightly wider field of view. But what comes out of that firewire port is definitely not 30P, it's more like de-interlaced 60i.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 01:20 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Just one small point in this PDX10 v panasonic debate, the PDX10 will shoot in the far more stable DVcam format, I rather think this may have more to do with the difference in price than wich one has XLRs.
Phil Dale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion