Secret menus, functions and the like at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old September 30th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #1
Contributor

Secret menus, functions and the like

Last night I was fooling around with my PDX10, trying to see if any special key combination would produce any unexpected results, and I discovered this:

If I turn the camera on the camera while pressing the stop button, the LCD displays [1]C:31:23 where the time code would usually go. Pressing the TC/User Bits button has no effect. This works starting the camera to both 'camera' and 'VTR' modes, and the [1]C:31:23 message persists if I rapidly toggle modes. Powering down and then turning the camera back on returns the TC display to normal.

Has anybody else discovered any undocumented things like this? I seem to recall a few years back somebody hacked a way of generating color bars on a Sony camera that was not documented to have this feature.

Imagine accessing a secret menu where you can set the camera to PAL, change to a different gamma setting, turn on locked audio for DV-SP, play Pacman... you never know what might be hidden in there!
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #2
Trustee

I believe the non S model Canon XL1 had something like this as well- where you could get it to generate color bars if you performed a few steps.....nice find Ignacio.
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #3
Wrangler

How do you know that the "secret code" wasn't related to an error condition you created by "abusing" your camera this way? ;-)

If you're a fan of secret codes though, check out this link which tells you how to go into service mode with your Sony TV... some pretty interesting stuff is in there...

http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/sonyadj.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 01:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Sir,
please put the camera down and peacefully leave the store. Everyone, go back to your shopping, nothing to see here. The LAPDX10PD HAVE GOT EVERYTHING UNDER CONTROL. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 07:05 AM   #5
Regular Crew

heh,
c:31:23 is an error message "S reel fault"
"correction: load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning"
camera found that it cannot perform the task, and returned error code.
You can access maintenance menus of camera if you use RM-95 remote controller, but better to not touch these.

regards, Margus
Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:54 PM   #6
Major Player

when yr cam goes to sleep in record standby mode - just gently press the photo button and it will spring back to life :)

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 11:31 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

Several cameras have undocumented features. The XL1 and the VX1000 could both generate color bars, but neither feature was advertised or documented in the manual. The bars weren't particularly useful, they weren't SMPTE bars, but hey, it was better than nothin'. The DVX100 has a service menu you can get at, but it's pretty scary looking so I don't think anybody's had the guts to fiddle with it and see if they could change anything. And the European PAL DV cameras had DV-input disabled, but some enterprising entrepreneurs figured out how to go in through the RM-95 service remote and enable those features. So, the PDX10 may very well have some hidden features, but as someone else already said, the C:31:23 message is just an error code, it happens to me on my old TRV8 when the tape jams.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion