Anyone know this Wide angle? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old October 7th, 2003, 10:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone know this Wide angle?

Sony has a 52mm wide angle called VCL-MHG07A (37mm or 58mm with adapter), but I can't find any reviews about it. Someone has tried it? Thank.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...HG07A&Dept=acc
Marc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Sorry, can't say anything about it, but I just wanted to mention that Tiffen's 37mm wide angle is very good.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 03:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The wide-angle is a single (spherical) element that attaches with a 'quick release' adapter that screws to the filter thread of your camera. Sounds great but in reality you have to remove this adapter when you remove the wide-angle because otherwise you can't reattach the hood. Crazy.

Another thing. I tried this on my TRV900 in the shop and the barrel distortion was quite unacceptable for such a pricy single element non zoom through.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 03:41 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Tom, what wide angle do you recommend in the 37mm thread size? I know you've tested a number of wide angles which has been published in the UK.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 06:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

All the lenses I tested came in the 58mm thread size (and VX2k bayonet) so I have no experience with the 37mm variety. Of course you can always buy the 58mm version of the Raynox 6600PRO (say) and then use it with a step-up ring. Then if you upgrade to a cam with a bigger filter thread your lenses can come with you.

All the lenses I tested had their pros and cons, though some had more of the former than the latter. My only real complaint was with the Cavision 0.5x which was very dissapointing. Overall my conclusion was this - if you need a wide-angle, go ahead and use one. If you don't need one don't fret - your picture quality will be all the better for not using one.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2003, 11:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Check out a company call TecPro, Ive just bought their 0.5x 37mm wide lens and its stunning, it also has a 49mm filter thread. Ive been using it on a 950 and its difficult to tell the difference in quality with or without the lens on it really is that good. It only shows very slight distortion and has no vignetting. I got mine from WWW.CREATIVEVIDEO.CO.UK for £72, the best bargain Ive had in a long time. I was looking at getting the Tiffen which Frank mentioned but due to the supplier running out of stock in the UK I looked elsewere as I needed it quickly, glad I did.
Phil Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Strangely enough Phil that's exactly the lens I use on my VX2000 - the Tecpro 0.5s. Mine's a 58mm filter thread of course and so cost £119 delivered to my door.

I've been very impressed indeed with the price:performance ratio, and it is indeed very sharp at all focal lengths. As you say there's no vignetting and the image circle is big enough to enable me to leave the UV on my Sony when I attach the Tecpro.

I hood mine with a Cavision hood because the coating on the glass isn't up to Century standards, but it has a neat trick of unscrewing in the middle and leaving a very powerful 10 dioptre CU lens behind.

My only complaint is with the barrel distortion. You've got to really love distortion to go with this lens at full wide but when you're pushed into a corner at least you know it'll be shapr at all apertures. A remarkable lens for the money, and I recommend it to many who ask.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion