DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   very low or no audio through the built-in mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/16178-very-low-no-audio-through-built-mic.html)

Abebe Alimuz October 23rd, 2003 11:41 PM

very low or no audio through the built-in mic

I have been using a Sony DCR-TRV900 camcorder for a number of years now. It has been a very reliable camera. Lately though I have been having a problem with the audio from the built-in mic. The audio recorded is barely audieable. I have tried a number of things including making sure that there is no accidental change in the setup, reseting the factory defaults and even using a new tape. Nothing worked. I am just wondering if anyone had the same problem, and found a solution, before I send it out to sony to be serviced? I am afraid it may turn out to be expensive.

thanks,

Abebe Alimuz

Ed Smith October 24th, 2003 05:56 AM

Please see my answer in the Non-linear editing on a PC.

*****My answer is now below Chris's message********

thanks,

Ed

Chris Long October 24th, 2003 06:27 AM

This sounds similar to things I've read before about the 900 microphones. They seem to have been prone to a variety of failures--both complete and partial. I was very close to buying one with low audio output at one point, even. Check out this link...

http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/badmic.html

There is a lot of information for you; including (if you have the skill and nerve) replacing the mic elements yourself! If you send it off to the Sony repair people, at least you can be assured that they have experience with the problem.

Good luck! and let us know how it turns out...

Ed Smith October 24th, 2003 07:30 AM

This is my reply to the same question in the PC non-linear forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somebody else with the same problem - good!!! - Maybe bad.

I brought a Sony TRV 900 used about a year ago from a reputable dealer over here in the UK (came with a years warranty). The really annoying thing is, that I was filming a friends christening with it, because I was in a rush I did not take any headphones, so just put everything in auto and hoped it all worked. I took it home, loaded the stuff into my PC and I found that there was no audio, or very little. I was a little lucky in the fact that I was shooting with 2 cameras, and so I am able to lip sync with the other camera.

I have found out that you can plug an external mic and you get sound. I will hopefully be sending it in for a repair soon.

Glad to see somebody else with the same problem.

Let us know how you get on,

Ed Smith
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Chris,
I had found that link after I posted. The camera has now gone in for a repair, at the expense of the dealer who sold it to me.

Chris Long October 24th, 2003 09:22 AM

You're welcome, Ed
Be interesting to know what they find....hopefully their repair notes will indicate it. Let us know!

Tom Hardwick October 24th, 2003 10:13 AM

This is a very very common fault with the 900, and both of mine suffered with it. The cheapest solution is simply to use another mic in the hot shoe, but that certainly makes the camera bulkier and less manageable.

I haven't heard a peep fro the 950 gang so I guess Sony have cured the problem. It was a design fault that they knew all about but kept quiet about, whereas they had to come clean and the dangerous NP-F750 lithium ions had to be recalled.

tom.

Ed Smith January 20th, 2004 09:33 AM

Sorry to bring this thread back up...

Well the camera is now back - took long enough!!! I'll test it tonight and let ya know what they done and whether it has been fixed.

cheers,

Ed