Who Came up with the Best WA? PDX10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old October 29th, 2003, 01:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Who Came up with the Best WA? PDX10

Heard so many bad reviews about the Century .05, lucky cause I was going to buy it.
I have been reading through this forum and it has been discussed a million times but how did everyone end up going with there wide angle?

I need one that has full zoom capabilities but is wider than .65.
Did anyone end up testing the Century DS-HR65-37 I would be really intested in this one. Otherwise who else has a wider lens that provides super good quality with the 37mm format?
Steve Tapping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 04:42 AM   #2
Outer Circle

The Tiffen 37mm threaded wide angle is very good, .5X. I don't know if it's 'zoom through' however.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 07:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm sorry to say but there's no "best" wide-angle converter. I've tested many, but there's many more out there. You need to ask yourself how much you want to pay, how wide you want to go, how much (if any) distortion you can accept, how well you want it coated, if you want zoom through, if you want filter threads or fitted hoods, if you want a macro facility and if weight, bulk and balance matter. (it will inside a waterproof housing).

If at all possible try the converter on for size. Shoot stills to memory and movies to tape. Use a tripod, shoot into the light, wave the camera about, film brick walls, zoom and inspect. Go home, open the files on the PC and look carefully at the results.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 06:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Cost: Under $200
WA: Wider than .65
Distortion: I want pretty much none
Zoom: Definatly need zoom through
Filter Thread: Could manage without
Macro: Not required
Weight: I will have a NP-FM91 on the back
Size: Can't be huge

I would try all wide angles accept the only ones they sell here are around $30

Thanks for input
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:22 PM   #5
Contributor

TecPro seems good

Somebody posted something about the TecPro some time ago. Never tried it myself.

At this brit site, they list distortion and zoom thru capability for each model Very interesing. Here is the link:

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/

The cheapest one is:
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/cgi-b...ecpro_037-045s

The best and most expensive (58mm) is this one:
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/cgi-b...ecpro_058-065s
Old October 30th, 2003, 02:08 AM   #6
Inner Circle

It was me with the Tecpro 0.5S, but I have that for my VX2k and Steve is probably looking for a 37mm threaded lens (about the only specification detail he doesn't give). I'm very pleased with the Tecpro on a power /weight/ cost/ size/ sharpness ratio, so it might be that the ones they make for the PDX10 size are just as good. Untill it's tested. we'll never know.

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/gimme....php?view=item

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 02:28 AM   #7
Outer Circle

Steve, Tiffen wide angle 37mm is very good. This Tiffen beats the hell out of the Tiffen 43mm wide. Someone locally tested some wides for his Sony, TRV950 I think. He went with the Tiffen 37mm over everything else.

-----------------------------------------------
If only I could replace the Nikon E 100mm lens on my Nikon with the Leica 100mm lens. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 05:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Re: Who Came up with the Best WA? PDX10

<<<-- good quality with the 37mm format? -->>>

I quote myself
My first post says I require a 37mm format like you said Tom.
Old October 30th, 2003, 06:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'll check the Tiffen out although I have a feeling it's not 100% zoom through.
Old October 30th, 2003, 10:32 PM   #10
New Boot

i tested the canon .7x 37mm WA ($110) against the sony highgrade .7x 37mm WA ($131) and found the sony to have truer straight lines. They both seemed to be equally sharp. I got the sony. One thing to note is that both these lenses are designed for video and still digital camera. This is kinda nice because if it's designed for a still camera you now it's designed to be used with something with a higher resolution than the pdx10. I think this is why the century .5x WA sucks on the pdx10, because it was design for one chip video camcorders.
Bryant Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 11:25 PM   #11
Outer Circle

Steve, I played with Tiffen 37mm wide on my DVL cam. It looked very good, but I don't think it has zoom through. (It was hard to tell because I only had my cam's low resolution LCD and viewfinder to go with.) Tiffen also now has 2 versions. I only tried the less expensive version.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion