internet retailers for the pdx10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old November 25th, 2003, 03:48 PM   #1
New Boot

internet retailers for the pdx10

I am in the process of buying a camera, and I am pretty set on the PDX10. I need to stay around $2000, and I like what it has to offer. Any suggestions or recommendations as to which websites to buy from, or stay away from? Money is a bit of an issue, so I'd like to go with the best price I can get, but without having to worry about getting screwed by some accessory-hungry site. Thanks!
Eric Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 04:02 PM   #2
New Boot

also, any suggestions of a reliable but economical tripod to go with the pdx10?

thanks!
Eric Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 05:05 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Eric, I suggest http://www.bhphotovideo.com

B&H is one of out sponsors and an excellent place to buy a wide variety of cams and cam gear at great prices.

Don't be taken by the many shady Internet dealers. You can always check dealers out here:

http://www.resellerratings.com
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 08:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Cousin!
I got my PDX-10 at B and H, and was completely happy that I did. It was on special at the time, they run them every so often, and it cost me $1869 total, including the shipping. I feel that I got the lowest price of the "reasonable" ones--other dealers may sell it for less, but it's probably a mistake to buy from them, because there WILL be a catch.

A close friend had a terrible, horrible, unbelievably bad experience with Broadway Photo. It took him months to get it all settled, and only after he handed it over to his credit card company. The cost of the camera was around $1650 (not a real price, they refused to sell it at that advertised price, actually) and after a terrifically hard sell, he had a bill for $2700. And some of the accessories were junk, marked up a few hundred percent. A beastly, abusive experience from beginning to end. He ended up sending it all back. Just say No!

Bottom line--he didn't check the ratings, like the one Frank suggested--www.resellerratings.com is good.

I ended up getting a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod and head combo--a 3221WN tripod (very nice, I think) and a 3130 head (nice, I may get better one eventualy, but better than anything else I've ever owned, so I'm happy with it). I happened to get it at a local photo store--they were clearing it out, and I paid $175 for the combo. A great price.

Good luck! Can't go wrong with B and H.
Chris Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 11:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

tripod for PDX10

I cannot recommend a Vinten Pro5 too highly. Lovely fluid head, and solid as a rock. It does make the camera look a little small though...

I don't know what the equivalent in the US is...

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the help, all. I ended up ordering through B&H. I went with:

Sony PDX-10 ($1,995)
Sony NP-FM91 battery ($79)
Kata CCC-101 soft camera case ($79)
Davis & Sanford Magnum XL tripod w/ fluid head ($99)
37mm UV filter ($9.45)

for a grand total of $2300 with shipping. I was extremely happy with the help they gave me; I asked for a great tripod under 100 bucks and he recommended the Davis & Sanford.
Tell me what you think! Thanks again for all the help!
Eric Long is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion