Video Walkman advcie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old December 9th, 2003, 07:25 AM   #1
New Boot

Video Walkman advcie

Can anyone give me advice on a low cost solution for a video walkman.

I want to do some simple editing on my PC without continually using my PDX10 do upload from tape. It doesn't have to be DVCAM as I use that only occasionally and can do that from the camera.
David Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

dv walkman

since you have a pdx-10, you should be able to play the dvcam tapes in a sony mini dv walkman. Ive been able to play dvcam tapes from my pd100, and a pd150 in my vx2000. The walkmans start I think around 1100. there was a post a few months ago where someone bought one of the sonystyle web page and they were offering int. free for a year, perhaps that deal is still good.

another thought that would probably be the lowest cost would be one that many on the board seem to use is you might buy a used single chip sony mini dv cam to use as a player.

m
Old December 9th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #3
Wrangler

That's the thing about the DV walkman... for $1,100 you get a tape deck and 2" LCD screen. For less than that you can get a tape deck, 3" LCD screen AND camera! I believe just about all the Sony cameras will play DVCAM, but not record it. Is the tape transport mechanism in the DV walkman any more robust than a 1 chip Sony camcorder would feature?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:19 PM   #4
New Boot

DVWalkman "internals"

I have read that the internals such as the tape transport and tape heads are nothing more than camcroder parts housed in a VCR deck. stands to reason due to the small size.

I use a G-DV200 which is the equivalent for 8mm, Hi8 and Digital 8 and used this machine only for logging 10 hours of footage of a clients tapes.

Although payed for, I regret buying it since I' like most others usually capture entire tapes and then edit it in post on your NLE system of choice. The very low price of storage of course has made this practical IMHO.

I use and highly recommend the JVC SR-VS30U dual miniDV/SVHS deck. This deck sells for around $719 these days and has DVcam playback. I use the deck within my FCP pro3/4/Express workflow with no problems.

This deck is from JVC's professional seris and as such has beefed up transports and heads to take care of heavy use, so when I do batch capture I don't have to worry about my camera absorbing the rigors of such use.

I think the next best option (if) you are working with DVcam tapes instead of miniDV tapes is the Sony DSR11 at about $1650.
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

"I believe just about all the Sony cameras will play DVCAM, but not record it. "

Anybody have confirmation of this? I'd like to have a "player" so I don't have to use my PDX for that purpose, and it'd be nice to have a secondary mini-DV camera to use in conjunction with the PDX for filming hunts. If the Sony miniDV's will play DVCAM, that sounds like the ideal option.

Michael
Michael Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #6
Wrangler

From Adam Wilt's website
Quote:
DVCAM plays back in most Sony DV VTRs excepting the DCR-VX700 and DCR-VX1000 camcorders which were designed prior to the introduction of DVCAM. With the exception of some recent (2001+) Panasonic and possibly JVC machines, DVCAM does not play back on other manufacturer's DV equipment. Check with the manufacturer to find out if your machine will play back DVCAM.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 08:57 PM   #7
Major Player

I highly recommend the trv19 as the official Shawn Mielke PDX10 and future PD170 tape deck.
:-)

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #8
Major Player

Haven't tried DVCAM playback, though....

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion