Sony's aluminium hard case LCH-TRV950 and pdx10p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old December 15th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony's aluminium hard case LCH-TRV950 and pdx10p

Does anyone use Sony's aluminium hard case LCH-TRV950 with your PDX10P. Is it ok? Any problems with such a "configuration"?

Thanks!
Old December 16th, 2003, 03:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I use this case with a PDX10.

Overall I am impressed with the configuration and the thought that went into the product.

2 level design

Below are variable sections to hold accessories, ( I store the show mount down here and some spare tapes. I can also accomodate my Sony F717 Digital stills camere here.

Above is a plateau section upon which you place the PDX10. OOn closing the top, the camera is 'clamped' so as to stop it floating around. There are aloso 2 recessed areas for 2 batteries and a clasp to keet the im place.

I believe that this case was designed for the TRV950 and as such, has no dedicated place for the microphone used on the PDX10. However, I place the mic beside the PDX10 and curl the short attaching lead around the camera. The foam grill on the Mic acts as an additional clamp to hold the camera in place.

There is also a small pocket in the underside of the lid to store more tapes etc and a shoulder strap in addition to the carry handle.

I recommend the product to any PDX10 owner.

In addition, I bought the PortaBrace shoulder bag especially designed for the PDX10 (I Think it was a DV3 bag) for use when I am bringng more equipment.

Gad I have both.

P
Old December 16th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #3
Major Player

The Portabrace bag is grrreat, though not as big as you might think. The floor space can be quickly used up with cam, mic, XLR box, large lens hood, and a sizable pair of headphones, with pouches for tape, cleaning kits, manual, white card, batteries, and power cord. With care, I bet more stuff could go in.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 09:13 PM   #4
Wrangler

FWIW, I use the Lowepro Vidcam 5 for my PDX-10. You have to remove the XLR box to fit it however. I also have a Vidcam 6 which serves as home for my VX-2000, but if I need to bring a lot of stuff I sometimes put the PDX-10 in that.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #5
New Boot

I use the Kata CCC-101 soft case with my PDX10. It was around $80, and was in the list of recommended accessories by B&H. It looked a bit small at first, but now after using it for a few weeks, I love it. It's very compact, and I have enough room to hold everything I need. There is metal shielding in the walls of the bag for added protection, since it is a soft case. And for the price, you can't beat it. I primarily went with it because of the price, and I'm not disappointed.
Eric Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 12:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Huh...

I was about to solemnly renounce ever transporting the pdx10 with XLRs still attached, that stress points need not be stressed unecessarily, but now I'm wondering if removing them every time would do more wear. What do ya'll think 'bout that?

Old December 19th, 2003, 02:28 AM   #7
Major Player

The attatchment end of an XLR can take more wear and tear than the cable at the other end. If you habitually move equipment with XLRs attatched, better keep your soldering iron hot and handy.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #8
Major Player

Pretty much what I thought.

Old December 19th, 2003, 08:44 PM   #9
Wrangler

Personally I worry much more about that connection to the hotshoe than the XLR connectors themselves.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Good point, Boyd, though, I would think that stress on the shoes with XLR attached, while being transported in a soft case, for example, would be more likely to do real damage than stress caused by removing the XLRs, the latter being something that can be controlled much more readily, although clipping the power cord onto that Ishoe requires some real force!. Actually, now that I'm thinking ( always a good thing! ;-] ) and examining the pieces and areas in question, I think that I'm most concerned about the life of the intelligent shoe connectivity, in the long run. Is this a more recent Sony/dv cam invention, or has it been around for awhile (more than two years)? Did the 900 have one?

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion