DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Question about Martin Munthes 2x 16x9 = 2.35:1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/18917-question-about-martin-munthes-2x-16x9-2-35-1-a.html)

Lambis Stratoudakis December 28th, 2003 05:23 PM

Question about Martin Munthes 2x 16x9 = 2.35:1

I just have read Martin Munthes posts and how he create a near HD 2.35:1 with the double 16:9 trick.

Martin use a Sony PD150 (internal 16x9 switched on) with an Optex 16x9 converter and he output 1280x720 (including the black letterbox bars)

Great tool for compostion, landscapes etc...

My Question is that maybe the same trick with the PDX 10 that have native 16:9 will arhive better images together with a anamorphic adaptor?

The other question is how you edit and show the finish film?

Fot DVD & TV is not mutsch use of this format (waiting for a 2.35:1 TV:-) )

For at blow up to film exelent but many many $$$$$$

Is the a way to show a digital 2.35:1 format film in a cinema without to blow up ?

Lambis

Boyd Ostroff December 28th, 2003 09:47 PM

It occurs to me that the ideal way to show this would be to use the "double 16:9" trick on a video projector, just like the camera. In other words, set the video projector for 16:9, and also put an anamorphic lens on it. Something like this might work in small setting. Otherwise, I think most projectors will let you adjust the image height and width. So just "squash" the image vertically until the proportions are correct.

I think the PDX-10 should work better than Martin's PD-150 for this trick, since it can natively capture 16:9, and it also has the advantage of using the relatively cheap Century 37mm anamorphic lens. However, no matter how wide you stretch the image the camera (and DV itself) is limited to about 530 horizontal lines. So I wonder if all this is worth the trouble? Rather than go through the upconversion process you could just letterbox the 2.35:1 image in the 1.78:1 frame (like the widescreen versions of commercial DVD's do). You could even make a luma key matte and load it into the camera with a memory stick, then use the memory mix function to crop as you shoot.

Lambis Stratoudakis December 28th, 2003 10:26 PM

Boyd thaks for the link!

Maybe it is worth the trouble. But we must see that quality first
and , like you have wroten, a Century 37mm anamorphic lens is
relatively cheap.

I live in a PAL country so 24P is not a big deal for me. But a big deal is to have a 16:9 or better a 2.35:1 without letterboxing.

Maybe, only maybe, the full PAL resolution (768x576) & PDX10 milion Pixel CCDs will help the process

Anyway. It will be intresting to try out this experiment.

Lambis

Boyd Ostroff December 28th, 2003 10:51 PM

If you give this a try then be sure to let us know how it works!