PDX10 with Matteblox and Century .65WA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old January 24th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #1
New Boot

PDX10 with Matteblox and Century .65WA

http://www.ncano.com/_wsn/page2.html

I just posted some quick pics of my new PDX10 outfitted with a Century Optics .65 WA convertor and a Matteblox hood from cinetactics.com. I have only had this package for a few days and only today shot some footage with the WA convertor on in 4x3 as well as in 16x9.

Even at this writing I have yet to review the footage on my monitor but I'm sure I will be happy with it. I was planning on posting some pics with quicktime movies on a temporary home page on a .mac site, but i just spent a few hours playing with the very limited homepage builder and since my mastery of HTML "sucks!" I was unable to do so at this time.

Please excuse the poor quality of the pics...they were taken with my ole sony 1.3 megapixel camera which has seen better days. On that note does anyone have any recommendation/s for affordable webhosting where I can get quicktime streaming services? The site I'm currently using is a basic cookie cutter from register.com and obviously I have had to accept the very basic layout of my website.

My prior experience with web-building stemmed from using FrontPage, however since I have migrated over to Macs in the last 2 years I have yet to find another WYSIWYG web editor for use on the Mac. I know Dreamweaver seems to be the default web builder on the Mac platform.

Anyway, when I can I will upload some pics from my PDX10 with adapter on in 4x3 and 16x9 for those who are interested. I will also include my 2 cents worth review of both the WA convertor from Century Optics and the Matteblox from cinetactics...
Old January 24th, 2004, 10:08 PM   #2
Wrangler

Very cool Neftali! I have a couple websites hosted at olm.net and have been very happy with their service and cost, but I don't really do any streaming as such. Do a search here because there has been a lot of discussion of web hosting in the other forums.

Now I'm a diehard old unix hacker, so I do all my web design by hand coding html in the vi text editor using a command line unix shell! Not for everybody, but you can write very compact code that loads quickly and is easy to maintain. Now that Macs run under unix it fits into this approach very nicely.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 03:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Nice. I am interested in the Century wide angle how is it?
Can you post some frames with and without it?
0.65 may not be wide enough for me, but is the lens worth the money.
It is full zoom through isnt it.
That lens hood looks nice.

Anyone know of any really good lens hoods for the PDX10 or Windbreakers for the mic?
Steve Tapping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #4
New Boot

First impressions...

The last 2 days here in El Paso have been very windy and cloudy. I probably won't get a chance to post some shots up until this weekend.

On some quick shots I did not notice any viginetting (hate to spell that word...) on any part of my zoom from full wide to full zoom (optical only, never use the digital feature). I of course viewed this on my monitor (normal NTSC TV...I do have a small Panasonic monitor with undrescan and will setup that as well later).

I used both the Mattteblox hood and the oversize lens hood included with the PDX10. The Century WA fits nicely with the included hood and sits back about 1 inch from the edge of the hood.

I also did not decern any real distoration with vertical lines when opened full wide, common with other WA lenes I have used before.

With regard to the Matteblox, It looks great once it's attached, but due to the small outer diameter of the Century lens (65mm) it's barely staying attached with the Matteblox's small rubber fingers placed on the inside of the hood. I may buy a step up ring for the Century's 62mm inner thread to bump it up to another available size. Cinetactics sells a custom built 72mm ring which I believe has some mounting points for these rubber fingers. this adapter was developed for DVX users so that they could attach filters/cover even with the Matteblox attached. only problem is that this adapter runs about $38 plus $7.50 for shipping, yuk!

Anyway, I'll be posting some pic's this weekend.
Old January 31st, 2004, 03:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Nef did you get around to doing those frames from the .65x?
I'm very interested in finding out how wide .65 actually is and how it performs in 16:9, full zoom and how it deals with sunlight eg Flares & smears.
Old January 31st, 2004, 07:56 AM   #6
New Boot

Results with CO WA .65

It's 6am here in El Paso as I write this, so by this afternoon I will grab some frames of the adapter on/off and post them on a temp disk I have with .mac

But, my initial impressions are it's a winner. I have full zoom thru according to my lcd display, but I will test with my Panasonic monitor w/underscan to be sure. To check for flares/glare I will try these shots without the lenns hood (large one of course) , with the lens hood on and even with my new matteblox (cinetactics.com).

With regard to 16x9 (of which I'm new to) I will shoot in this mode rarely and as I suspected I'm having a hard time outputting this format on any of my normal monitors (their all 4x3). I know one gets the squeezed look so I guess one needs a true widescreen tv for this? I thought (mistakenly) that the image would be converted to an image with black bars on my normal 4x3 monitors, but I was wrong.

I use FCP 3.0 and express and both of these can handle the 16x9 image and it does preview nicely on the screen,but Iguess I need to research how to out put my 16x9 footage and have it output to a 4x3 format correctly (does that make sense?).

Anyway, I will post some pics by days end...
Old January 31st, 2004, 10:01 AM   #7
Wrangler

If you want to letterbox your 16:9 footage in FCP it's very simple. Just create a standard 4:3 sequence and drop your 16:9 clips into it. They will be automatically letterboxed to fit. Of course you will need to render the results.

Now if you want to "future proof" your work you could always shoot and edit in 16:9 which would preserve the full quality of the PDX-10's 16:9. Then as a final step, drop the finished edited sequence into a 4:3 sequence and you'll create a letterboxed version.

Another approach would be to simply burn the finished 16:9 sequence onto a DVD. If you make it properly (see various other threads around here on this topic) then any standard DVD player will automatically letterbox to fit a 4:3 TV. This is probably the best of all possible worlds since you can work completely in 16:9 with no need to make two different versions of your project. If you need a 4:3 VHS copy you can make this with a letterbox by hooking your recorder up to a DVD player.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2004, 07:22 PM   #8
New Boot

Wide shots with Century Optics .65 WA convertor

Just posted some quick pics of my pdx10 with the century optics wa convertor. I have pretty much full zoom thru and no viginetting at full wide when i use the included lens hood, but slight viginetting when used at full wide with a Matteblox hood. I did notice some slight distorations of vertical lines at full wide...but much less than other wa lens I have used before. Heres a link to the page. I tried to getter better pics on a .mac server, but that did not fly so heres a few pics on my site for what it's worth.

http://www.ncano.com/_wsn/page5.html

Old February 1st, 2004, 10:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

very nice, I think I will buy it.
Does it have any focus issues all the way through the zoom?
I prefer the photos with the Century lens and Hoya filter on.
The sky seems to be washed out without it in the top right photo.
Looks as though it is JUST
Old February 1st, 2004, 10:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Sorry
Looks as though it is JUST wide enough for what I want.
You have a great set-up
Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:06 PM   #11
New Boot

Focus...

Steve

I did not notice any problems focusing with the adapter on. That is I usually focus manually and not in auto mode. I find that the Sony's auto focus is very slow and quick to change.

I am too happy with the lens for it's intended purpose in my work...that is interior shots of properties such as homes and apt.s. I took advantage of the PDX's small form to be used in concert with my glidecam and cobra crane. My setups with my PD100a previously were more difficult (which is approx 2lbs more in weight similarly outfitted). Using the PDX10 with it's 2 lb reduction has made a big difference for me.
Old February 7th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #12
Inner Circle

The PDX10 cries out for a wide-angle converter - any wide-angle converter. Please.

The PDX10’s 12x zoom goes from 3.6 to 43.2mm, which in 35mm terms is 49mm to 588mm. Calling the lens a wide-angle to telephoto zoom is abusing the term ‘wide-angle’ rather, and the camera cries out for a 0.7x wide-angle converter to be used at all times. When the camera’s switched to the 16:9 mode the view widens appreciably as the full width of the three 1152 x 864 chips is being used. This is the same as fitting a 0.8x wide-angle converter and filming in the 4:3 mode. It’s still far from wide, but is much more useful. Generally wide-angle shooting avoids hose piping, it allows the microphones to get in close and it smoothes out camera shake – splendid attributes for run and gun shooting.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion