Dsr-pd100a at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old January 28th, 2004, 12:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dsr-pd100a

Has anyone ever used this camera and if so what did you think ?
I just found it online and had never seen it before.
Thanks
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 12:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The PD100 is an awesome camera for its size. I would consider it along with its consumer sibling the TRV900 (both discontinued and replaced by the TRV950 and PDX10) to be one of the greatest DV cameras in there class of all times.

Happy Shooting
Alex
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #3
Rextilleon

I know someone who has owned the camera since its inception--never cleaned the heads and has shot miles worth of tape on it---the thing is the rock---Its a little weak in low light, and you will need a Beachtek or STudo One to get decent sound.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #4
New Boot

PD100a

Let me know if you are interested in buying one. I just aquired my new PDX10 last week and also plan to aquire a PD170 (that is if they fix the audio problems).

The PD100a I have is complete with all origianl accessories/box and was purchased new about 3 years ago.

If interested I'll email you the pics, specs etc...

info@ncano.com
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks but i just bought a camera. I saw the pd100a on B&H's website, in their used part.
thanks
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm surprised that you've abandoned the PD100 for a PDX10 Neftali, unless of course you're going to be filming in the 16:9 mode exclusively.

The PD100 has proper progressive scan so can be used as a motor drive still camera. It takes bigger batteries and uses 20% less power. It has a proper 6 bladed diaphragm, a switchable ND filter, bigger chips and more wide angle. It's better in low light and the CCDs dont smear at high shutter speeds. When you hit 'display' the information is correct (unlike the PDX) and when shooting you get to see the aperture /gain up that you've locked in.

Are you sure you want to sell off the PD100? In my view the PDX10 is a retrograde step - unless of course you're exclusively 16:9.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #7
New Boot

PD100a

Tom

Please don't misunderstand...I love my PD100a and even loved my VX1000 more if thats possible. But, although the PD100a has very little use on it and still functions perfectly, I am planning on upgrading to the the pd170 as it's replacement not the pdx10.

The small pdx10 (which in my short time with the camera is terriffic) was purchased to be used on my glidecam 3000pro and cobra crane. It's small form factor has proven easier to setup on those platforms. I admit I had to buy into a nice Matteblox hood, Century .65 convertor and even a rather expensive $55 Hoya super/pro mulitcoated YV filter which if you include the Mack extended 4yr warranty and extra longlife battery probably put me at close to $2800 in total ...man why did I need to remind myself of all that : (

But, seriously I think alot of us forget that just merely looking into the price of the camera is one part...upgrading or purchasing new accessories/warranty etc. can bring it up another $500 to $1000 easily. And thats at the Prosumer level, a testament to that was when I just received a mailer from Sony's Professioanl division profiling some of their high end cameras and pushing the fact that their $5000 REBATE would be ending soon. What the hell is a $5000 REBATE!
Old January 30th, 2004, 06:06 PM   #8
Contributor

If somebody wants to sell you a PD100a in good condition--I'd say go for it. It was the best 1/4" 3-chip camera made. A friend of mine teaches at a film school, and they use PD100a's for the students, and the cameras are holding up very well.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

This documentary was shot with a PD-100a.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=17939
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 01:04 PM   #10
Major Player

I've had the pd100a since it came out -fall 99 I believe is when I purchased it. It has lived like a dog and performed like a lion ! The only thing missing is true 16:9 although the incamera anamorphic is pretty acceptable. On a 10 foot screen I don't see any difference with 4:3. I've seen 100a's go for $600 on ebay - of course you don't know their history and maybe b&h gave a small warranty. I hope you got all the assessories like the xlr adapter and the wide angle adapter- both necessary , although when you need to go stealth , just the camera with the sony hotshoe mike works great. I haven't had any problem in low light - in fact just the opposite - I'm amazed at it's sensitivity w/o using gain. Size-wise , it's alot easier to be invisible with the pd100a vs. the 150/170 which is about twice it's size. If you got an unabused camera you will be more than satisfied . In 5 years I still haven't seen sufficient improvements to upgrade. Well maybe that's changing with hdv but the 100a will continue to be one of sony's better prosumer models , overlooked for the 150/170 but still puts up a good image. Oh did I mention I have not had one small problem in 5 years- I wish every toy I've bought performed as well.good luck- Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 01:40 PM   #11
Contributor

Agnes Varda shot parts of "The Gleaners & I" with a TRV900, the non-DVCAM consumer version of the PD100. It's one of the best documentaries ever made, I think.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion