DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Lens Flare Problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/20652-lens-flare-problems.html)

Steve Tapping January 31st, 2004 03:32 AM

Lens Flare Problems

I'm having a little bit of trouble avoiding lens flares. Especially with wide angle lenses.
It's pretty unavoidable because it's not like the subject I'm shooting can be re-positioned and I can only move to a certain degree.

Any ideas?
I'm using the wide hood this does cut the frequency down a little but not as much as I would like.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Frank Granovski January 31st, 2004 04:56 AM

Set up your lighting correctly, or position yourself correctly; do not shoot into the sun (or bright lights).

Steve Tapping January 31st, 2004 06:03 AM

I have an uncontrolled lighting set-up.
My light is the sun.
Shooting surf related footage.
In the afternoon when the sun sets over the ocean it becomes a problem or when in the water and filming from behind a wave in the morning.

Frank Granovski January 31st, 2004 07:43 AM

You may try a lens hood and a polarizer, but I see that you are already using a hood. If you shoot into the sun, you'll always have problems, and you'll have them with any cam. Just avoid shooting into the sun.
Quote:

or when in the water and filming from behind a wave in the morning.
Behind a wave? You mean the sun is behind a wave?

Steve Tapping January 31st, 2004 07:58 AM

"Behind a wave? You mean the sun is behind a wave?"

No when I am IN the water in the morning and I am shooting on the sholder of the wave as the surfer passes me I shoot towards the land to show the surfer travelling down the line. The sun rises over the land in the morning which means I hit the sun at a point.

I'm thinking about getting a Century Matte Box with a French Flag.
I'll have to take the French Flag off in the water & just use the adjustable shutters on the matte box to help.

I will try the polarizer thanks.
I have been meaning to get one.
Things are lookin up.
I hate the uncertainty of what to buy knowing it could be a waste of money.

Thanks for advice

Kenn Jolemore January 31st, 2004 08:51 AM

I am not sure what you can use while in the water other than as tight of a lens hood as you can get but while shooting from on the beach with a tripod you can use a small umbrella to help the situation along. There are small ones that mount on the side of the tripod that look nice.
KennJ

Boyd Ostroff January 31st, 2004 09:51 AM

I think there's a product called "flare buster" (or something like that) which is an inexpensive french flag mounted on a gooseneck. It attaches to the accessory shoe and can be bent into any position. Might be worth checking out.

Also, there was a discussion of matteboxes in another thread here which I thought was enlightening. The Century DV mattebox is sort of wide and shallow as I recall, and may not be all that effective (although I'm sure the french flag would help). For the best effect it seems that you would want a narrow and deep mattebox, which would be one of the adjustable bellows models. The trick with all these approaches would be to know your limits when shooting on location since the LCD screen and viewfinder don't show the full frame,

Frank Granovski January 31st, 2004 07:38 PM

But even with a matt box or the Flare Buster, shooting into the sun will be problematic.

Rick Bravo February 2nd, 2004 12:49 PM

I'm confused!

Steve,

If you are shooting "in" the water, how are you protecting the camera? If it is in any type of housing, how will you be adding filters, attachments, matte boxes, etc?

Frank is absolutely correct. Shooting into the sun will always give you problems. If you can see the sun, especially with a wide angle adapter, you will more than likely end up with lens flare. With the wide angle, you don't even have to see the sun in your shot to have a problem. All you need is a little light, entering the lens obliquely, to cause a problem.

The polarizer will reduce or eliminate "glare" not necessarily eliminate a "flare". These are two completely different animals.

Glare is light that is sharply relflected. A Pola is a good way to combat this if you are shooting through windows, etc. If the hard point of light is in your shot and cannot be removed, Dulling Spray, Streaks & Tips, or even a little tape will help solve the problem.

Flare is the relfection of light bouncing around the elements inside your lens. The addition of any glass in front of your lens will only add another layer of glass to collect and reflect light. Most of the higher-end lenses have multiple coatings on the elements, thus helping to reduce flare.

If you are shooting surfing and cannot totaly eliminate your flares, do what allot of cameramen who come to shoot in Florida do...call it ART! Folks pay big bucks for that look.

Good luck, RB.