A few PDX10 questions. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A few PDX10 questions.

I'm considering the PDX10 or the GL2, but I have a few questions.

1. When using the shotgun mic, can you also record sound from the internal microphone?

I'd like to ideally use the shotgun mic for localized sound like dialogue, etc. and the camera's internal mic for environment and ambient sound.

2. How is the color saturation?

I have had Sony cameras in the past (granted, cheap 1CCD ones) and was never impressed with the color saturation. They tended to be washed out, grainy, or dark looking. A friend's GL2 has proven to make excellent, sharp, colorful video. Will the PDX10 compare in terms of image quality? Low light is not really a concern - I just need excellent color reproduction within reasonable lighting conditions (mainly outdoors).

3. What is the difference between the NP-QM91D and the NP-QM91 with SQ? Also, do I need an external charger or can I charge these in the camera?
Evan Kubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:37 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: A few PDX10 questions.

<<<-- Originally posted by Evan Kubota :

1. When using the shotgun mic, can you also record sound from the internal microphone? -->>>

I haven't actually tried, but I don't think this is possible. The internal mikes are just a tiny stereo pair, and they're handy when sound isn't all that critical and you want to reduce the size and weight of the camera by leaving off the XLR box. Personally I wouldn't be interested in mixing the little built-in mikes with the shotgun. You can certainly control the two XLR inputs independently however.

<<<-- 2. How is the color saturation? -->>>

Using the custom preset you can make the colors as saturated as you like. Actually I usually find myself reducing saturation. Here are some examples that may give you an idea: http://www.greenmist.com/nature

<<<-- 3. What is the difference between the NP-QM91D and the NP-QM91 with SQ? Also, do I need an external charger or can I charge these in the camera? -->>>

I have both a NP-QM91 and NP-QM91D. They are both labeled "SQ", so I don't really know what that means. However the only difference between these two batteries is that the 91D has a builtin LED charge indicator. There's a little pushbutton that will give you some idea of the battery charge level by lighting a maximum of 4 LED's. I don't find this all that useful personally, since charge level on a scale of 1 to 4 doesn't tell you a whole lot. But it would let you quickly determine which battery was dead and which was charged if you had several in your camera bag.

The batteries charge right on the camera when it's plugged in and not switched on. This is the same as the VX-2000/PD-150. You're right to be looking at the QM-91's since they're the largest available for the PDX-10. I was just shooting some performances, and I think you might expect around 3.5 hours continuous use with these batteries while using the LCD screen, zooming, etc. I shot for 3 hours and the internal power meter was telling me I had about an hour left. Maybe you could stretch this beyond 4 hours if you used the viewfinder instead of the LCD? However I seriously doubt you'll ever get the 6 hours the camera predicts with a fully charged battery. I wish there was something equivalent to the PD-150's NPF-960 which would give you 6 to 8 hours.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the quick response. The reason I'm interested in using both together is because the shotgun mike is apparently mono - is this correct?

Also, how disadvantageous do you find the fact that there is no "frame mode"?

The nature pics looks great - I assume these are frame grabs? Looks like it was able to handle some sunset-type lighting without getting too dark or grainy.
Evan Kubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

Yes, the photos are just interlaced frames exported from FCP. I don't have a problem with the lack of a frame mode personally. However I often use DVFilm Maker to deinterlace my footage and covert to pseudo-30p.

The short shotgun mike is mono, and is the same one that comes with the PD-150 and PD-170. I'm sure you could replace it with a stereo mike if that's what you want. Camera-mounted stereo mikes don't do much for me however. My VX-2000 has one and I think it leaves a lot to be desired. I find the quality of the PDX-10's shotgun surprisingly good for recording our performances. I use it on one channel and run the other channel at line level with a feed from our house sound board.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion