Rec Mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old February 9th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #1
New Boot

Rec Mode

Does anyone of you use the LP mode? I am making DV tapes of my old Hi8 tapes, and the Hi8’s tend to be a little longer than the 60 min DV-tapes. Is there a significant quality loss by using the LP mode? Will LP mode DV tape suffice as back-up for my old analog tapes? Or is LP mode more vulnerable? (I use the TRV 950)
Frode Flobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #2
Wrangler

DV LP writes the same 1's and 0's to the tape, so the quality is the same. It runs the tape at a slower speed however, so the data physically occupies a smaller area. This might make it less robust, at least in theory. I'm also told that tapes recorded in LP mode might not play back correctly in a different camera or deck from which they were recorded. But this is all just hearsay, I haven't ever tried LP mode on my VX-2000 (and my PDX-10 does not have an LP mode).

So I guess it's up to you as to whether you want to entrust your archival copies to this. I find that I get a bit more than 60 minutes on the 60 minutes DV tapes in SP mode, maybe about 63 or so. At least one company (Panasonic?) makes 80 minute DV SP tapes also. Keep in mind the general wisdom about not mixing brands of tapes however.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Several companies are making the 80 min tapes now. Unfortunatly they are priced considerably higher than the 60 min tapes making them prohibitive for backing up a library of material. I think they go for around 8 dollars rather than the 4 for the 60min pro quality in sony brand.
KennJ

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion