What do you all think? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old March 5th, 2004, 06:34 AM   #1
Major Player

What do you all think?

Tell me if I’m off base here.

Finally, after nearly 2 years of badgering people on message boards about DV, I’m finally about to make my first DV cam purchase in less then 4 weeks. As some of you may know, I was always an ardent fan of the DVX 100, even to the point of being accused of worshipping it. But you know what? When it's all said and done, guess what camera I am strongly leaning toward purchasing? (for a DV movie) That’s right, a PDX10. I’m strongly thinking about getting a PDX10 over a DVX100, here is why, and tell me if my thinking is off based here:

1. 16:9 – I need a GOOD quality 16:9 on a DV feature that is going to be slightly run and gun with it’s shooting style (still will use a tripod, lights, and a dolly though.) I’m already nervous about SD’s resolution as it is (for screening at Film Festivals) so I don’t want to lose anymore resolution by shooting in the DVX100’s fake letterbox mode (or squeeze mode of the A model.) On a lot of my locations a monitor wont be possible, and quite frankly, with my two man crew (including myself) I don’t want to lug a monitor around ALL the time (I will probably use it with interior scenes, when I can.) As have I heard, the Anamorphic Adapter (for the DVX100) is finicky with focus and you really should have an external monitor for it. Plus, this Adapter is nearly a thousand dollars extra.

2. This may sound a bit “punkish,” but I kind of like the simplicity of the PDX10’s controls vs. the DVX100’s controls. Once again, my shoot isn’t necessarily going to be a point-and-shoot, or TRUE run-and-gun scenario, but I do have to make extremely fast setups (with lights in interiors.)

3. Size. The smaller the equipment I have to lug around, the better. And we all know which camera is smaller.

4. Audio. Audio is good (so I hear) on the PDX10, not that it is bad on the DVX100 either (I hear it's really good, actually.)

5. Image Quality. (Note: I don’t care about low light.) I know I would be comparing oranges to apples here, but the image on the PDX10 (at B&H) looked like the best image of all the prosumer cams on display there (including the DVX100…but this, naturally, can only be compared in interlace mode.) Actually, I kind of find the PDX10’s image to be WAY underrated because it looks stunning to me (under proper lighting conditions.)

6. Price. I'm on a tight budget, and we all know which camera is cheaper.

What do you all think? To complete the film look, I'm going to use Magic Bullet for this (even though Magic Bullet adds a lot of weight to my budget, it's still something I can afford to purchase a few months from now.) Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Thanks in advance everyone!
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello,

If low light is not a factor as you said.And you are do not need the 24p look shot in camera(add film look in post) And you need to have true 16:9.. And you want good audio.. and a pro camera at a good price.. then you will not go wrong with this camera..

Go for it.. remember it is just a tool, your creativity and imagination are the real limits here..This camera will do just fine..

good luck..

Mike
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #3
Wrangler

Sounds like you've thought everything through and are aware of the camera's strengths and weaknesses. No doubt Tom will pop up to tell you about all the PDX-10's problems with vertical smear, low light and internal ND filters that can deceive you as to what's really happening in manual mode. But if you've been reading this forum you're already aware of all this. But even he will admit that it's hard to beat the image quality.

You seen and held the camera and compared it with others side by side. I can't see any reason not to go through with a purchase. After a year I'm still happy with mine. Let us know how it works out!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You're right Boyd, I thought I'd better pop up and say how much I agree with you. Sony's PDX is beautifully matched to all Glenn's specifications, and I'd say 'go for it' too. The lens is remarkable, and clever of Sony to keep you at the sweet spot. The lens hood is excellent and you shouldn't leave home without it. The 16:9 from those wide chips is a delight, and it sure looks better than the VX2k in 16:9. As you say, be aware of the camera's failings and it'll bring home quite stunning footage.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #5
Contributor

Before I give you the 'go for it' myself, there is something else I need to say: Check out the new Pana PDX10 killer. Looks really really nice. We don't know at this point about it's 16:9 capability. It most likely is not as good as the PDX10's... but it has frame mode and other nice features. If this wonder had been around when I bought my PDX10, I would have wanted to give it a try at the store at least.
Old March 6th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #6
Wrangler

It does look like a very nice camera, but based on the specs I don't think it will compete with the PDX-10's 16:9. It only has 380,000 active pixels which means 16:9 must be acheived by cropping. But will it take 37mm filters? If so then Century has a small anamorphic lens for about $300.

A big strength of the DVC-30 seems to be infra-red and low light, but Glenn didn't feel that mattered. It has a frame mode but the specs say it isn't true progressive so I don't know that's an advantage. I don't really think this camera is a "PDX-10 killer", in my opinion it would need to have more pixels for that. It may eat into Sony's sales of the PD-170, VX-2100 and PDX-10 however. But I wouldn't trade the PDX-10's 1,070,000 pixels for the DVC-30's 400,000.

Will be interested in hearing real world stories about this camera, but it still isn't shipping AFAIK. After witnessing the recent problems with the PD-170 I would want to wait several months after people get their hands on any new camera before placing my order...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #7
Contributor

> I don't really think this camera is a "PDX-10 killer", in my
> opinion it would need to have more pixels for that. It may
> eat into Sony's sales of the PD-170, VX-2100 and PDX-10
> however. But I wouldn't trade the PDX-10's 1,070,000 pixels
> for the DVC-30's 400,000.

I agree. Actually I fail to see how somebody would want to buy a PD170, DVX80 or VX2100 if this new Panny delivers as promised.
Old March 6th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #8
Major Player

" Actually I fail to see how somebody would want to buy a PD170, DVX80 or VX2100 if this new Panny delivers as promised."

Umm...DVCAM, compatibility, convention, even better low light performance, spontaneous whim, etc...?

My next cam will be a PD170.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion