Manual audio problems on the PDX10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old March 17th, 2004, 03:12 AM   #1
New Boot

Manual audio problems on the PDX10

Ok I have searched this site and the web to see if anyone is having problems with the audio on the PDX10. Now this isn't an oversensative ear to low level hiss, I believe I have a more serious problem.

It's very simple, turn on MANUAL audio level on and I get a crackling / buzzing sound. If I turn the audio levels all the way up, the bar before it's 100% the noise goes away. If I turn it all the way down, the noise goes away. Any MANUAL audio inbetween I get a really, really bad noise.

Things I have tried include EVERYTHING. I've clicked on every function, turning it on and off, I tried it with the XLR pack and without, still had the noise.

The only fix I found, turn on AUTO audio level.

It is recorded on to the tape and I can actually dial the noise in and out while the tape is recording as I adjust the LEVEL for the mics. It's almost a mechanical type sound that goes up to -30db and it's really bad, because I cannot manualy set the audio. If I have time tomorrow I will upload sample audio clip.

The camera isn't very old and was purchased, with warrenty, from B&H. Bad thing is that I can't be without it, so I am trying to find out if it indeeds has a problem first bofore I let it out of my hands to go anywhere.

thanks,

michael JR.
Michael Brumback Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 03:15 AM   #2
New Boot

Oh, forgot this, I have even tried it with battery and power. With headphones and without. Tried every XLR pack switch, but since it has the same problem with the internal mics, it's not the XLR pack.

If anyone has heard of this problem, please let me know before I call up B&H and Sony to dig deeper. Maybe it could be flashed through the MemStick or USB port, oh that would be so nice wouldn't it.

michael JR.
www.mjrworld.com
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have non of those audio problems with my PDX10p !!
So I advise to go back to B&H or Sony for it.

The only thing which I found is that the Auto-mode gives a wider frequency response. When I have time I will record some whitenoise in both settings to better compare.

BTW: I like that picture on your site!!
Jan Roovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a similar problem with my TRV-950, and I have a solution if you want to try it.

First, when I have my LCD screen open AND the brightness of the LCD from the menu selected as NORMAL I have a significant hum in the audio most noticeable when it is set to manual near the middle. It seems to vanish on AUTO unless you listen carefully and it is still there.

However, the hum goes completely away to perfectly quiet audio when the LCD screen is shut completely OR when the LCD brightness is set to Bright. I am guessing that the LCD setting of BRIGHT is actually normal and when you select NORMAL a resistor or limiting circuit kicks in.....and....in my case is slightly faulty and causes a hum.

This is my second try with the TRV-950.

I had sent my first one in to Sony because of CCD blur (no amount of focussing either manual or auto could get a clear image) and horrendous vertical striping (striping would literally obscure 3/4 of the image below a window in the top 1/4 of the view). I just received a new replacement (one week ago today) manufactured in January 2004. The CCD is much better, vertical striping nearly absent, blur and glow is gone. So, the video really looks good.

Of course, I was disappointed when I tested the audio and realized that, with the LCD open, I had hum. Actually, I was stupefied. However, since the video looks great and since I can get rid of the hum by closing the LCD or setting it to BRIGHT I have decided to give up on perfection from this product and use it around the limitation.

I really, really like all the features, image quality and good audio quality when the hum is absent from this camera. But, when I buy another Sony I will drive to BH Photo Video, take the product out of the box, go to a quiet room, and test EVERY LAST THING, before I walk out the door. I will take a flashlight to video to test for striping and headphones to work over the audio.

While I really do admire this product when it is working well, I am surprised to have tripped quality control limits TWICE.

From the company that helped teach America about quality.....I am surprised.
Canon Elan
Canon AE-1
Canon Z-135
Yashica Mat124G
Mike Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 06:18 PM   #5
Trustee

Interestingly, this is the exact problem Sony had on the PD-150 for a very long time. The 170 was rumored to have this too but that is incorrect. I believe there were a few that escaped with noisy LCD panels but that has finally been cleared up.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 01:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Mike Sanchez, what is stripping?

And Michael, I get something similar, althought I didn't notice that it went away with the mic level all the way up.

However, this appears to be a known and unavoildable issue afterall, as several other PDX10s around here has the same problem.

Jan, you must hear something when you're in the quite room and your mess around with your mic levels, I'm sure of it.

Any way, we all agree this is noise we can do without, UNLESS I AM WRONG and there are PDX10's out there that have absolutely no noise at all.....
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 01:50 AM   #7
New Boot

As it stands, even trying the LCD check, my PDx10 is completly usless in MANUAL Audio mode. Period. So in a situation, such when I was recording a concert where the music was so loud and changing it's volume rapidly, the AUTO mode couldn't keep up with the level changes. So I have to use MANUAL. mode with the NOISE. Or in another siuation I was recording some kids from church screaming out things, audio only, and the AUTO was peaking out the window, so I switched to MANUAL, aha, the noise, and this is when I really noticed it, sooooo.

I would like to know when your PDx10 was made and so with the others who have the noise issue when in MANUAL mode and those who don't have it.

Mine was made in June 2003.

I do have a warranty left on it and an extended MACK warranty from B&H, it was cheap because MACK works off the price of the camera, and it was just below the more expensive level. After I finish a short film I am doing, I am going to push a bit on Sony and see if I can find out if this is a known issue and if it is a correctable one. I've done a lot of research on the web and haven't come across anything except what I have learned here.

The only option I think I have is to record on MD seperate from the camera or to run in MANUAL mode with the level set all the way up till the NOISE goes away then use an external mixer to set the levels.

michael JR.
www.mjrworld.com
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:40 PM   #8
Wrangler

Michael, I have not experienced any of these problems with my PDX-10. Mine was built in December 2002.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 03:56 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Ronald,

Stripping is otherwise known as vertical striping when one is not typing too fast to get it correctly spelled......
Canon Elan
Canon AE-1
Canon Z-135
Yashica Mat124G
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:00 AM   #10
Regular Crew

The Japanese companies are very good at what is known as "costing down" an existing model.

The following sequence is normal..

At product introduction all aspects of the product, and its internal parts, are fully tested and costed. Manufacturing with those parts commences at a price supporting profit (unless marketshare wars are in place).

Usually, at the one year mark the product has been internally re-designed to meet the same specs but with cheaper parts (resistor here, amp there, etc.).

This costing down process continues throughout the product life as the manufacturer lowers the price to the consumer.

I think that the later models, reading these posts and having lived my own experience, of TRV-950 and PDX-10, may be suffering from aggressive cost down engineering.....

However, at least in my case I have what is known as a "work around". Close the LCD display. Which has the added benefit of not draining the battery.
Canon Elan
Canon AE-1
Canon Z-135
Yashica Mat124G
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:40 AM   #11
Contributor

Hmmm. Very disturbing concept indeed. One tends to think that in time they actually correct problems with theirs designs, not add them. I guess if this is true and can be proved it could warrant class actions. I mean... if I try the cam in the store and it has no audio noise and the one I get in a box and take home has been intentionally made less quality... would they be willing to risk their prestige and legal costs just to make US$10 more per camera?
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:19 AM   #12
Regular Crew

The intention is cost down at equivalent specs. It is one of the most effective methods of introducing products and subsequently reducing the price of the product as it ages.

It is never the intention to introduce a problem.

However, it does happen.

Usually not on a broad basis since that would be caught during spot inspections.

So....the faint audio hum here, the blurry video there, etc.,

are we not all used to this and accepting of it.....

I think so....no need for lawyers. I sent my original Oct. 2003 TRV-950 back for audio squeal and blurry CCD. The replacement has excellent video clarity with reduced striping, excellent audio with the LCD closed or set to bright but hum when the LCD is open with the brightness set to normal.

No need for a lawyer.....just keep the LCD closed. And never used mail order again......
Canon Elan
Canon AE-1
Canon Z-135
Yashica Mat124G
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #13
Contributor

> No need for a lawyer

Interestingly, my PDX10 does not have the LCD-induced audio noise problem at all. Guess I bought it in time <grin>

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion