DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   LCD HOOD still available - read details. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/23454-lcd-hood-still-available-read-details.html)

Sean McHenry March 24th, 2004 08:12 AM

LCD HOOD still available - read details.

Hello all. I just officially joined the forum a few days ago so sorry I didn't post this sooner.

If you hadn't heard about this "end user promotion", here are the details on it. Sony is still offering the free LCD hood if you purchased a DSR-PDX10 between 11/03 and 04/04. Here is the wording from the actual Sony bulletin on this...

"Sony is pleased to announce an end-user promotion for the DVCAM™ product line effective from November 1, 2003 through March 31, 2004. Sony will be direct mailing postcards to potential end-users during the month of October. The postcard highlights three of Sony’s DVCAM cameras/camcorders and a special giveaway item relative to each of these three cameras/camcorders. "

I just bought my PDX10 from the company I work for. We are an authorized Sony dealer by the way, just in case any of you are having trouble finding a place to get gear, feel free to contact me off list. Always like to help fellow shooters out if I can. Not that this is in any way a commercial, just wanted you folks to know this was still on. Refer to Sony Bulletin # 03-0520. The place you bought yours should know this was extended.

NOTE* This offer is good only 30 days after purcahse. I quote "All end-user claims must be submitted online no later than 30 days after purchase date, and all supporting paperwork for claims must be postmarked within 45 days of purchase date."

Round up your receipts folks.

Sean McHenry
mchenrytech@wideopenwest.com.com
(remove the extra .com)

Boyd Ostroff March 24th, 2004 10:03 AM

Re: LCD HOOD still available - read details.

<<<-- Originally posted by Sean McHenry : Sony is still offering the free LCD hood if you purchased a DSR-PDX10 between 11/03 and 04/04.

NOTE* This offer is good only 30 days after purcahse. -->>>

Thanks for this info Sean, I'm sure this is welcome news to recent buyers. But it's also a bit of a "gotcha" in that leaves a pretty big gap between the end of the original promotion last fall, and those people who bought a camera at the end of February.

I got one of the original LCD hoods last spring. It's made by Petrol and works very nicely. Couple comments though; first, you will need some origami skills to assemble it since there were no instructions! Second, be careful placing on the LCD screen because those elastic straps are tight and you could stress the screen hinge if not careful. And third, unfortunately it blocks access to all those buttons on the side of the camera, like the VCR controls, display button, etc. Nevertheless, it's a very useful accessory and I was able to shoot in full sun on the beach using it.

Sean McHenry March 24th, 2004 05:15 PM

More on the LCD hood

Thanks for the info. It actually looks pretty rigid but also looks as thoug it could actually scratch the LCD display if attached incorrectly.

As for the gap, it wasn't really a gap. I do however suspect not all dealers are as concientious about their customers as we might be. We try to look for these sorts of rebates when we can. Another reason to buy products from a reputable "local" dealer if you can. (Notice I have still not said exactly where I work to keep this thread from being a commercial).

I have read nearly ever thread on this board and am working my way through the dv magazines boards for any info on this camera.

By the way, kudos to the gentleman who took the time to PDF the instruction manual. I hope there are no issues with Sony and copyright over it. I'm not saying anything about it as I think it only helps to sell a product to have a manual available.

Thanks again everyone for helping me decide on what to buy.

Sean

Boyd Ostroff March 24th, 2004 06:03 PM

Re: More on the LCD hood

<<<-- Originally posted by Sean McHenry : It actually looks pretty rigid but also looks as thoug it could actually scratch the LCD display

Oh I don't think so. It's relatively thin black ABS plastic that is rather soft. The part that touches the screen is covered in nylon and does not come in contact with the screen surface, just the bezel. My concern is that the elastic straps are very tight and you have to push rather hard to slide over the screen. I'd say the PDX-10's large screen is close to the maximum size that this hood will fit.

<<<-- (Notice I have still not said exactly where I work to keep this thread from being a commercial).

We appreciate that, as we try to steer people to the DVinfo.net sponsors when possible. Of course I do agree with your comments about using local dealers and am sure we all like to support the businesses in our own hometowns. I've bought many of my still and video cameras from stores in my area.

<<<-- I hope there are no issues with Sony and copyright over it.

Actually we kicked this around "in the back room" a bit. We wouldn't be comfortable hosting such a document locally, but unless someone voices a complaint we agree that it can only help sales of the camera, so we left the links online.

Tom Hardwick March 25th, 2004 01:33 AM

I started off using a Hoodman LCD screen on my PDX10 but I sure missed the ability to easily use the touch screen facility on replay. The hood seemed to be constantly going on and coming off, so I left it off in the end.

tom.