Arrived yesterday. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old March 27th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #1
Trustee

Arrived yesterday.

Mine came yesterday at work in the 10am UPS shipment. Looking good so far.

I have been reading the important bits from the online PDF version for a few days and feel comfortable with the methods used to control things.

I am somewhat troubled that some things don't have direct control, like exposure. What I really mean by that is, yes, hit the button and use the thumb wheel but if yu need to make any other changes that need you to make, you loose the exposure setting. If you lock it, you can't make any other changes, etc.

I did find you can make exposere changes and still change audio levels which is nice.

One other nice touch might have been to have audio metering even in auto level mode. Otherwise, how would you know you need manual?

Still, it's looking good.

I am hitting the local park trails with it today if it clears up a bit. Borrowed a Bogen 3011/3126 combo from work to set it on. I think I may buy the Bogen Wildreness setup. 3221BN legs and the 3130QR head. Any comments on that combo?

Next project is a home built steady cam handheld rig. PVC and aluminum stock, etc.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 08:26 AM   #2
Wrangler

Sean, not sure what you mean about exposure control. You can always control it manually if desired using the thumbwheel. The only caveat has to do with changing shutter speed. Unfortunately, changing the shutter speed will reset the iris. But if you first choose a shutter speed then you can maintain it along with manual iris. Is that what you meant?

Also not sure about the audio comment. IIRC, you can display the audio levels while in auto mode, just push the button.

I have a 3221 with a 501 head - is that the same as the 3130QR? The tripod is pretty sturdy and mine came with a nice soft case. But watch out for those leg snaps, they're killers that can pinch and bruise your fingers! I stopped using mine for video and replaced it with a Miller DS-5 which I love. The action on that head is way, way smoother than the Bogen and it makes quite a difference if you're shooting at full telephoto. It also has a ball leveller and I don't know how I ever lived without that! I use the 3221 with another head now for my still camera and it's really a better match for that IMO. But for the price I think it's a very good value, and if you aren't shooting a lot of stuff at full telephoto you will probably be happy with it.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #3
Trustee

I was overall pretty happy with the performance of the 3011 sticks and the 3126 head on the tripod I used from work this weekend. I wasn't perfect but it worked for what I need for now.

I am buying the 3180N kit with the 3011BN sticks and the 3130QR micro fluid head. Very similar to what I had out from work. Should be good for getting the shooting going again.

Now to line up a few free shoots to get back in the swing of it. Been editing too long. Need to shoot and create.

Links : http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=800

and

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=287

Sean

Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

Those legs look good, probably better than the nasty snaps on the 3221. That head looks pretty much like a cheap Bogen head I used briefly before getting the 501. I guess it depends on what sort of shooting you plan to do, but I found the movement way too rough for my needs. The 501 was a big improvement.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 11:59 PM   #5
Trustee

Not shooting too much in the way of action right now. One of the first projects is to shoot stock to use in the projects down the road and maybe to sell off as true 16x9 footage from around the state.

Mostly static initially but the 3126 from work was smooth enough to use for all sorts of work like weddings, etc.

I figure this one ought to be pretty good for now. Maybe a year or so down the road I might move up a notch or two.

First proirities are now, sticks followed closely by a good PortaBrace bag, lighting, wide angle lens and the a new DSR-11 deck. We have a demo DSR-20 I am trying to talk the company out of as it is in great shape and I seem to have it more or less at my house all the time anyway.

One of the perks of being in the business is being able to rent gear to myself at $0. Makes for easy testing of the gear for us sales guys.

Got to get some sleep.

See ya,

Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion