PDX10 Memory Stick Recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old April 9th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #1
Tourist

PDX10 Memory Stick Recording

I am testing my new PDX10

I have found that mpeg clips recorded directly onto the memory stick are very poor. By this, I mean that image quality is pixelated and poor...when played back in Windows Media Player or the like.

Of course, I am now concerned that my camera is faulty.

Has anyone else had similar experiences or is this feature just a gimmick with the main purpose being DVCAM, DV recording directly to tape?

I would love to hear everyone elses experiences.
Peter Carlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It's not faulty, it's MPEG1. It's designed to be jerky, blocky, compressed, small and have poor sound quality - that's how it can fit onto flash memory and be sent as an email attachment.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 03:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Don't worry. As Tom notes your camera is not faulty. If you want perfectly clear, unpixelated digital video your camera will provide that through the firewire from the tape or stick (for stills).

The MPEG1, as Tom notes, was a feature that Sony included for those of us who take a quick clip of the kids piano practice and email it to Grandpa....

My output, at the native resolution of the MPEG1 capture, (324 x 240 or something) does not look too bad but if you upsize it to normal NTSC it looks horrible.
Canon Elan
Canon AE-1
Canon Z-135
Yashica Mat124G
Mike Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The funny thing about all that is if you take some footage from firewire and run a segment through TMPEGenc and encode to MPG1 it will look great. wway better and just as small of a file . Best to just use the memory stick for stills as they look great.
KennJ

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion