Sony DSR-PDX10 vs Panasonic AG-DVC30 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old April 26th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #31
Contributor

> any camcorder that shoot 16x9 fully use the whole panel?

Yes. The Sony 570 is an example. But cameras like that can cost more than ten times the price of the PDX10.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=243137&is=REG

The new Sony HDV camera coming out in the next few months will apparently have a 16x9 sensor and cost perhaps twice the PDX10, but details on this camera are unclear yet and most likely it's low light performance, like that of the PDX10, will not be too great due to pixel size.

By the way, I lived in Edmonton when I was a kid, great province!
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:12 AM   #32
Regular Crew

pdx10

is the pdx10 so bad in low light? how does it compare in indoor conditions compared the pana dvc30. i really need a camera with good performances indoor, so shall i go for the dvc30?

peace
Yohann Kouam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:32 AM   #33
Wrangler

Yohann, why not consider a 1/3" 3CCD if you need low light performance. There really is no comparison.

If you were definitely deciding between the DVC30 and the PDX10 for low light then the DVC30 will be the clear winner with its larger CCDs (1/4" vs 1/4.7") and its far less pixel count per CCD (410k vs 1070k).

Of course all those extra pixels on the PDX10 produce one of the best (if not the best) in-camera widescreen modes and would be the one I would choose.

Have fun, bring light
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #34
Regular Crew

i would love to get the dvx100 but i really don't have the$$$. so i am to choose between the dvc30 or the pdx10. what's the real advantage of a 16/9 mode? apart from having a wider field, does it add increase the depth of field? my question may sound dumb but maybe it's time i found out about the hype on this 16/9 thing...

peace
Yohann Kouam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #35
Wrangler

Well at the risk of sounding a bit like a wise guy, this might be a case of "if you don't know what it is then you probably don't need it" :-)

Depth of field has nothing to do with 16:9. Do you want to "increase the depth of field"? The prosumer video cameras already have great depth of field, and many people jump through a lot of hoops to DECREASE the depth of field such that a foreground object can be in sharp focus with a blurred background.

The 16:9 format just describes the ratio of the image's width to it's height, and it has become the new standard for widescreen TV's, both high definition (HD) and enhanced definition (ED). Most cameras can shoot in these proportions, but the design of the PDX-10 allows it to produce higher quality 16:9 images than others in its class.

Not a dumb question at all, but it sounds like you might benefit from reading some books on video equipment and production to get a grasp of the basic principles before spending your hard earned money! For example, maybe a GL-2 would be a better choice, or a VX-2000 or VX-2100? Or maybe a used XL-1s or PD-150? All of these might be in the same price range so you should make sure that you understand the issues and make a good choice. Also remember that the DVC-30 is brand new and there are very few real world user reports on it yet, so there are some unknowns to contend with there.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #36
Regular Crew

yeah your "i don't know what it is means i don't need it" sounds fair enough to me. i was originally interested in a vx2000 but since it's a PAL model i need the price is like 2600$ minimum and since i need a good deal of accesories such as fisheye and stuff, it's too much for my budget. gl-2 is an option that i haven't considered much because of its mediocre low light performances(mind you i never got to see from my own eyes), i need a sensivity as good as my former pd100 which did a great job on that. i did intend to get some other reviews on the dvc30 b4 purchasing it, i always take my time b4 buying a new cam.

thanx for your advices anyway.

peace
Yohann Kouam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion