DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Sound level, XLR vs build-in, PDX10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/25095-sound-level-xlr-vs-build-pdx10.html)

Love Mov April 25th, 2004 07:33 PM

Sound level, XLR vs build-in, PDX10

Bite the bullet, got my PDX10...everything is fine, video are great, especially 16:9, wow...
One one thing, when using external mic (original, with XLR adapter), I got very low recording level compares to build-in stereo mic...all settings are auto, no manual at all...I wonder if other pdx10 owner has the same problem? (or it's by design? But the difference is too big...) if I use manual, I have to pump up the level to highest to get a bit louder, still lower than build-in mics...
Thanks.

Boyd Ostroff April 26th, 2004 10:11 AM

Funny you mention this. Two days ago I was taping one of our productions and had a line-level feed from the house board on channel 1. I find that I get the best results by setting that to auto so as not to overload when a loud chorus section pops up. I was using the camera-mounted mike on channel 2 and had it set to manual at about 50% which seemed to work just about right. For the heck of it, I tried switching the mike to auto and WOW... the level got much higher and hurt my ears at the headphone volume I had set. So I returned it to manual.

But this is really just the opposite of what you describe. The auto setting gave a much higher reading than manual. Now I didn't raise the manual volume all the way, so I suppose that's the difference. I have never done any serious recording with the little built-in mikes so I can't comment on that.

All I can say is that the supplied mike plugged into the XLR gives me very good results on manual. Audio really isn't my forte, so you might also want to visit the audio forum here for more detailed discussion. But as I understand it, -12dB on a DV camera would be the equivalent of 0dB on an analog system, so the levels will probably appear to be a bit low when they are actually correct. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this as it's something I've wondered about myself.

Shawn Mielke April 26th, 2004 11:08 AM

If AUTO isn't responding the way you would like it to, your recourse is to learn to live and love in MANUAL.

Love Mov April 26th, 2004 09:32 PM

This is interesting...auto is really low for me...which capture software are you using? maybe the software make some difference..

Frank Granovski April 27th, 2004 06:07 AM

Love, this is just a thought, and don't take this the wrong way. Could it be that you are a little hard of hearing? If not, and the auto is not working properly, then I suggest sending it back.

I recorded about 1/2 an hour with a PDX once, in auto, just to try it out, and I thought the audio was pretty good.

Boyd Ostroff April 27th, 2004 07:55 AM

My comments were not dependent on any software. I was talking about the audio level as displayed on the LCD screen when you press the button on the back of the camera. This is how you should make your judgements, not by something subjective. Are you also aware of the monitor level adjustments which are controlled by the volume buttons under the LCD screen? These don't affect recording levels, just the level you hear through headphones.

Patrick Grealy April 27th, 2004 04:52 PM

If you really want to get serious about audio, you need to go to manual and get an external compressor and learn to use it, but this will only really apply to a fixed position camera.

Models from Behringer are good and not too pricey.

If you are pointing and shooting, the the above is not really an option, agreed

Regards P

Love Mov April 27th, 2004 06:54 PM

I have compared it after I capture everything to my PC.
The level different is when using XLR/external Mic compares to buildin Mics(without XLR).
The buildin is much louder, that's the reason why I asked, since even I go manual and move the level knob all the way up, it's still not as loud as buildin auto..