DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Suggest a secondary Sony camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/26407-suggest-secondary-sony-camera.html)

Glen Elliott May 23rd, 2004 08:47 AM

Suggest a secondary Sony camera?

I'm thinking about buying a less expensive consumer Sony DV cam to act as both an editing deck and secondary camera during shoots. I see that wedding videographers not only shoot with their PD-150/170s and VX2ks but also sometimes use consumer cameras such as the TRV-38 as an extra (angle/backup) camera. I was looking at the TRV-70...it's got S-video out (for my external monitor while editing) and seems to have a decent amount of effective pixels for video for a single chip cam.

-Does the TRV-70 support video-passthrough (to watch reatime preview on external monitor while editing ...via firewire to cam, s-video to monitor)

-Do all Sony cams play back DVcam recordings? This is important as I shoot in this format w/ my 170.

-Does anyone else have any recommendations for a secondary camera to perform these tasks for me? I see that the TRV-70 has some extra features that I don't need like still shots capability, etc. Is there a cheaper cam on their lineup that will have the same video quality without the extra fluff?

-Lastly what's the biggest difference between the "TRV" series Sony cams and the "PC" and "HC" series.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Paul Chun May 23rd, 2004 11:59 PM

Glenn,

I have a TRV900 and a few TRV38's at work that I use to duplicate tapes from my PD170. I will normally use the TRV38 as a playback and use the TRV900 as the recorder via firewire with great results. I also use the TRV900 as a playback deck going into my G4 to edit via Final Cut Express. The 900 has a S-video output but also has the miniplug adapter that has RCA adapters for video and audio. The TRV38 is the same. So I'm wondering if you can use the TRV38 with the miniplug adapter to plug the RCA's into a monitor while capturing or editing via firewire.

Glen Elliott May 24th, 2004 06:33 AM

Can both the 900 and 38 play back DVcam? What's the best Sony cam in regards to picture quality out of the one chippers under $800.

I was looking into the TRV-70 because it had a 1/3" ccd which is fairly large for a 1-chip cam...though it comes with a lot of extras that I do not need and don't want to pay for if I can find something of the same quality (without the extras) for less.

Patrick Grealy May 24th, 2004 08:45 AM

QUality difference will be too much of a problem for you!

Hi Glen

I was in your position (nearly) a few months back.

I have a PDX10 which I bought after owning a PC100e (both PAL) and I relegated the PC100e to tape transport duties and a 2nd camera to bring along to act as a fixed position camera on events. I shoot some stuff in DVCAM but not always.

After 1 location shoot (indoor brass band) with 2 cameras 4 microphones into a small mackie mixer with separate mix to the PDX10 tapes, I decided to get a second PDX10.

The difference in image quality was simply too much to interleave footage from one to the other in FCX.

Lighting also had something to do with it but I cannot afford to have such a (quality) inbalance when cutting in footage from the 2nd camera.

I suggest that you will also be similarly affected

Your 170 will make the above even worse so I'd suggest that you look for

1. another 170 (expensive)
2. a 2nd hand 150 (Hmm, may be hard to find but possibly cheaper); or
3. a PDX10 (probably same price as 2 above)
4. Someo ther 3 chip CCD camera that suits your budget (950?)

Note I also bought a DSR11 to do dedicated transport work.

The PC100e is now being pensioned off to Family holiday duty (where I suppose it rightfully belongs)

Regards P

Glen Elliott May 24th, 2004 10:07 AM

See I was originally going to get a DSR-11 but opted against it due to the outrageous price. I figured I could save about $1000 and go with a cheaper Mini-DV cam to use as a deck as I'd never make use of the DSR-11's ability to record to full sive DVcam tapes. Not only would it offer me a deck to do all my capturing and as a digital to analog converter (for real-time preview via my NLE) but it could act as a secondary or even 3rd camera.

Granted I absolutly know what your talking about when intercutting footage between a 170 and something like a 1-chip camera. I wasn't intending to use it that way. I was intending to set it up to capture footage for montage segments- where intercutting in real-time wouldn't be necessary. For example in upcomming weddings I'm going to buy a small (low to the ground) tripod to and lock it down behind the last pew. That way I can get an artistic low angle shot of the bride entering and the couple leaving. The rest of the primary footage will be covered by a PD-170, VX2100, and an XL1-S.

I decided earlier this afternoon to go with a more modestly priced TRV-33 beings I don't need 1600x1200 still shots from a camcorder. I have my EOS 10D for stills. It came to $550 with a Mack 4-year warranty.

Bill Pryor May 26th, 2004 07:40 PM

Glenn, supposedly all Sony miniDV cameras, except the old VX1000, will play back DVCAM tapes.