15fps PDX10 footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old June 21st, 2004, 03:28 AM   #1
Space Hipster

15fps PDX10 footage?

I'm considering a used PDX10 but want to get my hand on some 15fps progressive scan footage shot 16:9. I need at least a 10 second clip, wide angle, manual, default settings, prefer persons face filing 30-50% or frame, shutter speed as close to 1/48th as possible.

I have web-space for full-rez file if you don't. As a bonus, I will post the footage converted to 24p...
Old June 21st, 2004, 04:10 AM   #2
RED Problem Solver

Does the PDX even have progressive mode - I can't remember. However, I've had very good success converting from normally shot 60i on the PDX10 to 24p. It sounds like you're experimenting with your own method - great! Look forwards to seeing how it comes out.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 09:09 AM   #3
Space Hipster

According to Sony's infp and several user posts, it does has have it.

I'm will be using Twixtor to get 24p since it does not lose resolution.
Old June 21st, 2004, 09:19 AM   #4
RED Problem Solver

OK - I'll dig the camera out and see if I can set it up to do so. It will be interesting to see the results.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 01:37 PM   #5
Space Hipster

Thanks a bunch man. I just got back from the local store looking at Optura's...
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:49 PM   #6
Contributor

> According to Sony's infp and several user posts,
> it does has have it

Proscan? Stephen can you please direct us to the Sony source and posts that say so?
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:53 PM   #7
Space Hipster

I don't have the links handy but it's list on the main sony site as "15fps progressive to tape (photos only)" or words to that effect.

I googled PDX10 and progressive to get the posts.
Old June 21st, 2004, 05:04 PM   #8
Contributor

Seems not

Ok. I googled it too. Nice verb. You are correct, the PDX10's CCDs are said to be progressive capable. But unfortunately they are only used in progressive mode when taking still images, not in video mode. Also it is unclear whether the PDX10 and TRV950 produce progressive stills using a mechanical shutter or by using the proscan capability of the CCD array. Whichever, you do not get progressive scan video from this camera. You can deinterlace the footage in post, which will decrease resolution, or you can try lowering the shutter to 1/30 to less but this also decreases resolution noticably, at least in 4:3 mode. In the fileld of DV, it is important to be able to read through the hype. For example Sony also says the PDX10 records in DVCAM for 'Superb picture quality of the DVCAM format' which of course is the same picture quality of DV25 no matter what the track pitch or tape speed.
Old June 21st, 2004, 06:47 PM   #9
Space Hipster

Sony's site states this:

"Progressive (15 fps) or interlace scan for still images "

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professiona...sp=11&id=65263

That sounds like 15fps progressive to me. I think the still is only because 15 fps strobes too badly to be useful for motion.
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:52 PM   #10
Contributor

Stephen, it simply does not do progressive video, at least not NTSC or PAL (which is of course what I mean when I say video). Perhaps you mean it can write 15fps to the memory stick in MPEG1 but that's a whole different story at 320x240 pixels and in 4:3.

The PD150/170 do have a progressive mode at 15 fps, but the PDX10 does not have this mode. This might be a mistake on Sony's behalf on their web page. Actually I think they screwed up because this feature, which I know is part of the PD150/170's capabilities because I shoot with one of those two, is not mentioned as a highlight for the PD170. I really am sorry about it, I surey wish my PDX10 had proscan video capability. it's such a stupid shortcoming for it not to, especially considering that the CCD panels used are said to be progressive capable.

The page you indicate also mentions 'reduced vertical smear', whereas in the Sony pro line there is no camera that can smear as much as the PDX10. It also says nothing about this camera's low sensitivity to light and it's resulting high minimum lux rating.

Don't get me wrong though, it's a great camera in many ways, but you have to read between the lines or get advice from somebody who doesn't want to make you buy the camera. Well, that's what we are all here for, right? ;-)

Perhaps I am mistaken and there is new version of the PDX10's firmware which allows it to do proscan. That would be cool, but I think it is unlikely.
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:17 PM   #11
Space Hipster

No, I appreciate the info. I was just going on what I found and having seen the feature on PD150 etc. Maybe it was planned and removed because of the smear because 15fps would make smear worse.

I'll drop the PDX10 off my list of cams since it was only the 15fps mode that made it attractive.
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:20 PM   #12
Contributor

I see. Perhaps one of those Panasonics with frame mode or even the new Canons with single CCD RGB color can be usefull for what you need. Those have megapixel CCDs so their 16:9 performance might be as good as the PDX10's
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:44 PM   #13
Space Hipster

Yeah, what I've been looking at is the Optura Xi, Optura 40 or 500...Just trying to accept the loss of full manual controls :)
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:36 AM   #14
Wrangler

Sorry, was away yesterday... Ignacio is correct, the PDX-10 does not have the 15 fps progressive mode that my VX-2000 offers. The statement about progressive for photos seems pretty pointless since you can shoot photos at much higher resolution than video already due to the megapixel CCD'S. But in the case of the VX-2000/PD-150 the max resolution in photo mode is only 640x480.

Another little caveat on the PDX-10 is that you cannot shoot still photos to memory stick while using the camera in 16:9 mode. If you press the shutter button it makes a noise and a little flashing icon appears in the viewfinder but nothing is written to memory stick. Still photos only work in conjunction with 4:3 video mode.

A year or more ago there was some excitement of the discovery that the PDX-10 streams some sort of video through the firewire port when it's set for still photo mode. Initially people thought is was real 30p video which you could capture directly to computer, but further experiments showed it was some form of deinterlaced frames without the full resolution of progressive scan.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:48 AM   #15
Major Player

I don't think vx2k has progressive in 16:9 (anamorphic).
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion