Just another 950 story! Thanks for the info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old August 5th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Just another 950 story! Thanks for the info

I have been reading posts around here learning more about video. I originally bought an Optura XI and realized that I need a 3CCD cam. Looking into cams I thought the GL2 was the best fit for my budget, so I read through the posts in the GL2 forum trying to get familiar with the cam beforehand.

Well I am here now because I have a 950. In Toronto, Cananda the 950 is initially $3299 with the PDX10 coming in at $3599. Yes It makes all the sense in the world to go with the PDX, but also keep in mind that we get hit with 15% tax here ($3299*1.15= $3793.85 and $3599*1.15= $4138.85) As you see it is not always easy to save for the next one up. I was able to pick this up for $1900 cdn brand new with full warranty. I am looking to shoot interviews/docs/music videos, with shots originating indoors/outdoors/night/day strictly for TV....

I shot some video today and watched it on my tv and was amazed. The sky was blue as it was supposed to be and the video was remarkable. I had an ND6 on and I guess this made alot of the difference. I also shot video at night in the downtown core with alot of bright buildings and signs and noticed the vertical smear, but I can live with it, it is not that bad and I liked a few shots (I may add a star filter for some effects). I tried the recommendation of the digital effect "Flash" in the cam to mimic film look or frame mode and noticed resolution loss on my tv, so I won't be using it at all. I like the video the cam gives out and can not risk degrading it, I will have to try "film look" in post in Vegas.

I am shooting mostly at 1/60, setting white balance before each shot and I have set my CP to various ways that I have read in this forum looking for the "best look" as my LCD does not help too much.

One thing I noticed and was commented on in a few threads:

1) FOCUS: At telephoto I can not focus at all as I was moving the ring slowly. reading here it was mentioned to focus faster which I will try. I wish the spot focus would tell me what it used to focus. I don't anticipate using it much but it is spot on when I need something in focus.

Other then that the 950 is exactly what I am looking for.
I plan to add a Beachtek DXA8, an AT 897 and get a tiffen, sony, or raynox wide, and add a light kit (I also have a mixer, but like the portability of the beachtek.) With all these additions I still am not at the price of the PDX. I am content with the video quality and thankful for this site and for the members that got me up to speed with the camera so quickly.

Now I am thinking of taking these stickers off that say USB Streaming, Movie MPEG, and Network Function to make it look a little more pro... :)
Anthony Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 01:15 PM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome to the "club" Anthony.

>> I wish the spot focus would tell me what it used to focus.

Not sure what you mean. I just tried with the PDX-10, everything in manual mode. I selected spot focus from the touch screen and pointed to something. Then I tapped the exit button on the screen. The camera displayed 5.0m for focus distance, although that only appeared on the screen for a few seconds.

However I think those distance numbers are generally pretty questionable. In this case the object I selected was more like 2.0m from me. As I understand it, autofocus systems search for an image with the greatest contrast which may or may not correspond to an actual distance. And with the generally huge depth of field on these cameras I suspect there's a pretty wide bracket in which things will stay in focus.

I find the spot focus occasionally handy but it seems very slow. And I especially dislike the fact that the other manual controls all seem to be disabled while you're in the spot focus screen.

>> At telephoto I can not focus at all as I was moving the ring slowly. reading here it was mentioned to focus faster which I will try

Yes, if you experiment a bit you'll find there seems to be a certain threshold of speed while turning the ring and if you don't reach that then nothing happens. This is pretty much the same on my VX-2000 also. But really, "manual" focus (a misnomer at best) is pretty awful on these cameras. I think in some respects the PDX-10 is a little better than the VX-2000/PD-150 since you have the numeric readout which gives you some feedback. Those other cameras don't show focus distance at all so you really wonder what's happening often. But of course they do show accurate f stops which I really miss on the PDX-10/TRV-950...

Enjoy the new camera, sounds like you got a good deal.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion