DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   please , 2 questions for pdx10 users (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/30154-please-2-questions-pdx10-users.html)

Kurth Bousman August 5th, 2004 05:45 PM

please , 2 questions for pdx10 users

hello - I have 2 lagging vacuums in my knowledge bank trying to decide between cameras- one ( are the np-fm battery styles different from the older np-f style ( I have a pd100a ) or are they interchangable ? And two, does the viewfinder also show a letterboxed image in 16:9, or is it compressed ? thanks for your help

Boyd Ostroff August 5th, 2004 07:36 PM

Hi Kurth,

The PDX-10 uses different batteries; the PD-100a used the Infolithium series L I believe, like the PD-150, right? Those are great, I use an NP-F960 on my VX-2000 and it runs almost 8 hours.

Unfortunately the PDX-10 uses the Infolithium series M batteries. This is one of those "what were they thinking of" things: the PDX-10 draws more power than the PD-100a but they put a smaller battery on it! The largest available is the NP-QM91 which should give about 4 hours continuous use recording with the LCD screen on, zooming and using phantom mike power.

Yes, the both the viewfinder and LCD screen show letterboxed 16:9. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kurth Bousman August 5th, 2004 10:55 PM

thanks Boyd - just trying to put all my eggs in order ! and I was glad to read that the viewfinder on the pdx10 was brighter than on your vx2000. I'm really leaning towards the sony ( but the gs400 is running close )but I was hoping for the batteries to be the same since they, by themselves , can be an investment ! Another factor is I use my varizoom alot and as you know the pani doesn't have lanc - another factor. But who knows when the real reports start coming in for the gs. One thing that the pani might have over the sony is lowlight performance. thanks again for your help- Kurth

Boyd Ostroff August 6th, 2004 09:17 AM

Just to clarify, I was talking about the LCD panel, not the viewfinder. However I really dislike the viewfinder on the VX-2000, it's very low-res color. The PDX-10 viewfinder is monochrome and much higher resolution, like the PD-150.

I would be surprised if the GS-400 is any different in low light, it appears to have the same CCD's (or at least the specs match from what I've seen).

Kurth Bousman August 6th, 2004 01:12 PM

right- that's one of the selling points for the pdx10 - high res viewfinder - I just wasn't sure how the image was translated -compressed or letterboxed and yes, I understood but mistyped that it was the lcd that was brighter ( from the optura posts ) Boyd , concerning the lowlight situation , didn't it seem in the camcorderinfo review of the gs400, that it had good lowlight capabilities. I know it's supposed to be the same ccd but maybe they were able to tweak the software - what do you think ?In a few weeks , when some machines are in the hands of shooters , maybe we'll know more- If it's the same lowlight performance then the pdx10 will be my choice - I like the price of the gs but , as someone , maybe you posted , it's made by sony pro - my pd100a is about 5 yrs old and still as new ! thanks - Kurth
ps - I saw your stills of the opera backdrops - very cool - you're a walking pdx10 ad

Boyd Ostroff August 6th, 2004 02:38 PM

Thanks Kurth. As you say, I think we'll just need to wait for more user reports on the GS-400. Does it have 14 bit DSP like the PDX-10?

I don't really think of myself as a walking ad - there are plenty of weaknesses to the PDX-10, and eventually I'll outgrow mine and want something better (perhaps the promised Sony HDV? or even - gasp - an XL-2?). I hope one of the things we can do in this forum is to provide a balanced view instead of spouting blind brand loyalty. All cameras have their compromises and trade-offs. You need to be aware of these, weigh them against the cost, and compare to other models.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Sean McHenry August 10th, 2004 12:30 PM

I bought a 9 hour 12v gel cell from Bescor. Came with the basic charger and the nylon bag. I also bought the Sony 12v car adapter which plugs into the 12vdc outlet hanging off the battery. Use it at the 8 hour wedding shoot 2 weends ago. Worked quite well. It's like a small motorcycle battery to carry around but it ran all 8 hours no sweat.

All told it was under $150 direct from their web site.

Sean

Tom Hardwick August 12th, 2004 09:08 AM

I'm just everso-slightly worried that Kurth will be disappointed with the PDX10 after having owned a PD100 for 5 years. OK, the PDX10 is cheaper and has a noticeably better 16:9 mode, but in other respects the camera has been moved downmarket by Sony, to put more air between it and the PD170. I'd be happier if Kurth was coming to the PDX10 from the TRV30, say - then there'd be a reall improvement and I'd feel happier about the move.

Just to re-iterate. The PDX10 has a great 16:9 mode, great stills to Memory stick, a very samll filter thread, fancy touch-screen party tricks, an ace b & w v/finder and wonderful picture quality in controlled conditions.

But the PD100 uses a lot less power and has bigger batteries. It has proper progressive scan for stills. It has bigger chips that have far less CCD flare, see better in the dark and offer easier dof control. The apertures and shutter speeds are shown in the finder (important if you shoot in manual) and the replay later tells the truth - unlike the PDX10. There's a user operated ND rather than the 3 auto NDs of the PDX.

So - if you're after great 16:9 then the PDX is a bargain. If you want more then it sure does have its failings, and you should be aware of them.

tom.

Juan Parra August 12th, 2004 10:17 AM

you're right tom.

if it wasn't for 16:9, i would not have bought the pdx10...i would have kept the pd150.

juani

Kurth Bousman August 12th, 2004 11:51 AM

Tom - thanks for your input- all of your options really help me try to decide- You're all right -Juan and Boyd- Yes there are some bad downsides like the ND situation and lowlight- I go out at night in the small town in Mexico where I live, and the image is great on my pd100a but it is the 16:9 I'm after. Of course I'm using this time patiently waiting for user reports on the gs400. Also the main points are the correctly displayed image on the pdx10's lcd , xlrs' in , and the 500 line b & w viewfinder. On the gs400's side might be better lowlight performance , cine gamma etc. but we need another month or so to let the data filter in. Unfortunately I'm limiting my price to 2 grand otherwise I'd be waiting for user reports for the XL2. Another thing I'm factoring in with the gs400 is, if it drops to around 1200 , I could also get a small matchbook camera , like the new optura 400- thanks again- Kurth

Sean McHenry August 13th, 2004 02:00 PM

You can counteract some of those issus. If you put a manual ND filter on, you would have greater control.

I bought mine specifically because of the 16:9. I plan to do a lot of stock 16:9 DVCam footage this fall and next spring around here.

Sean