PDX10 Wildlife Tests at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old October 1st, 2004, 01:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PDX10 Wildlife Tests

I checked out the video preview of the new yet to be released prosumer Sony HD cam and I was pretty impressed, so I thought I would go out and shoot some similar material with the pdx10 to compare, too much spare time on my hands I know.

The results:
http://home.iprimus.com.au/tappings/EAPDX10_WildlifeTest.mov

I was actually pretty impressed, I had never really shot any nature subjects, sure you can not really compare the two because this is heavily compressed and it is a different format, but I have found comfort in knowing that the PDX10 really is a bloody good camera for the price. I was a little un-decided before due to inconsistent shots when shooting the ocean, which I believe is one of the hardest things to shoot. Any spare time I do get now I go out and shoot anything interesting because you understand how your camera works under various conditions & gives you a greater knowledge in preparation. I'm sure most of you know this but it's my little input for people just starting out.
There also wasnt alot of sample footage from the PDX10 around so I thought I would add some for people contemplating purchasing this camera (sorry sound guys, the sound wasnt interesting enough when shooting). No correcting in NLE has been done, this is straight from the camera's lens.
Bit of comical value added to the clip as well with the song, hahahha hippies.
Steve Tapping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:19 PM   #2
New Boot

How does your pdx10 do in a room at night with a 100 watt or even a 60 watt. Is it that horrible in the dark.

Craig
Craig Bartelloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #3
Wrangler

You can shoot in pretty dark places, but will have to boost the gain. Just last night I was shooting a performance that was dark and wondered if I should have used my VX-2000 instead. As it turned out, the PDX-10 was fine, although in two REALLY dark segments I had to boost the gain to the max, which results in noticeable noise. These were scenes where the naked eye had a hard time seeing what was happening on the stage, but with the gain boost on the PDX-10 everything was quite visible.

But if shooting in very dark places is your main interest then the PDX-10 may not be your camera of choice. My own experience shows that the VX-2000 is two and a half f-stops faster.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion