DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   PDX10 Vs PC350 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/32926-pdx10-vs-pc350.html)

Marcos Luger October 3rd, 2004 08:43 PM

PDX10 Vs PC350

Hello People !

I am new to this forum, and this might be the wrong place to ask this kind of question, so forgive me if I am bothering around here ... :-)

I am some sort of "extreme sports indie film maker", mostly I do my own productions and then sell them to TV or my sponsors. I have a Sony PC101 and it has been a great camera for this kind of stuff (mostly outdoors sunny days), very often people ask me if it's DVCAM or even Beta ! (jajaja).

So this is my problem and question: I must get a second camera, and the choice seems to be the PDX10 or the PC350. I personally think that the 350 would be good enough, but sometimes I do freelance jobs for other atlethes and TV networks (AXN Latin America), and they are always asking me for a 3CCD cam, or at least something that looks like a "pro" camcorder, I know this is a stupid reason, but this is the world where we live ...

So I must follow the "mainstream" or do it my own way ... It's hard to decide, but there is one thing that would make my descicion easier: do you guys think that the PDX10 will be lot better than the PC350 ???????

thanks in advance

Marcos

Tom Hardwick October 4th, 2004 12:18 PM

I think if you're going to be doing any low-light shooting then think very seriously about crossing the PDX off your list. Don't know about the 330's performance in that department, but it couldn't be worse - could it?

tom.

Kurth Bousman October 5th, 2004 09:30 AM

ditto

well, Marcos - I've been trying to get some real info on the ntsc version of the pc350- it appears there's confusion about whether it's 30p or 24p- I've found a few web pages that discribe it at 30p and sony's own press release discribes it so but www.camcorderinfo.com has the only real revew and it says it has a bad 24p. I've written dvspot , which promises a review soon , to try to resolve this confusion. I think a good possiblity is to go with the pal model. There are some other threads by John Jay , who has a pal , and he says it's great and has real 25p. I'm thinking of going that route and then purchasing the nattress conversion plug in for final cut and output both versions , with pal having another 100 lines. My problem is I'm in an ntsc world with no pal deck , etc. My advice , if you're into sport filming , then you should consider the pc350 just for it's size. The pdx10 , while small , with it's mike , is considerable larger than a pc350 with a hotshoe mike. Maybe we can reel-in a ntsc version commentary. It's amazing , in this day , that with the camera available for a number of weeks now, there still hasn't been any feedback about the ntsc version. Maybe someone else could chime in with some additional data.

Tom Hardwick October 5th, 2004 10:17 AM

It's also worth remembering that the neutered TRV950 is now out of production, which suggests the PDX10's days are numbered also. Not sure what's in line to replace it's good 16:9 at that price point, but we'll see.

tom.

Kurth Bousman October 5th, 2004 07:36 PM

OK - I've been reading the forum at camcorderinfo and there's more postings about the 350 and it appears it is " funky 24p " except for the pal version which is 25p and apparently works better. The biggest complaint is the lack of audio monitoring . Well , that still keeps the pdx10 in the running for me ! Wouldn't it be nice if we saw a pdx20 released with everything we want with real 24p at the same price point. Sounds reasonable if the fx1 will cost $3700 !

Boyd Ostroff October 6th, 2004 07:20 AM

Re: ditto

<<<-- Originally posted by Kurth Bousman: The pdx10 , while small , with it's mike , is considerable larger than a pc350 with a hotshoe mike. -->>>

Just so you know, you can remove the mike and XLR box from the PDX-10 and it will still record audio from a pair of tiny built-in stereo mikes.

I'm not sure, but I think the 350 uses smaller batteries that fit inside the camera, which would limit its run time. Using the QM-91 on the PDX-10 I can shoot for at least 4 hours with the LCD screen on and phantom power mike. Another thing to consider is that the 350 uses touchscreen menus for all its functions whereas the PDX-10 has physical controls.

Marcos Luger October 6th, 2004 09:44 AM

I made my choice

Well thanks Tom, Kurth and Boyd for your comments

I think I will choose the PC350, it might not be better camera than the PDX10, but it fits better my needs. My question was mainly about the image quality: true 16:9 ? and 1 CCD Vs 3 CCD ?

Like you guys said, the PDX10 it's an old camera, and the PDX20 might be on the way, but if it looks like the HC1000 I am not interested.

As for the audio, it's not a big deal for me, and I can always get an Beachtek Dual XLR Adapter with headphone jack.

Concerning the battery, there is a bigger one (NPFF71). But you are right, I would like better M series.

Because I am filming sports like paragliding and windsurfing, the size is very important, and the Automatic Control is very usefull. When I do manual control means I have time to set up the shoot, and then Touch screen is no problem for me.

I promise to post lots of footage as soon as I get the camera !

thanks once again

Marcos

Kurth Bousman October 6th, 2004 09:59 AM

please Marcos , we need some good input on the 350 and congratulations on your decision- the size issue is the king with that camera and if size matters for whatever reason . Boyd always does a great job of comparing the pdx10 and it is a beautiful camera and as he points out ,and when you take the mike off , it's very compact but you can't put it on a glove-mount. Check out the sony hotshoe mikes and www.waycool.com- let us know how it goes - Kurth