newbie question: mic and cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old October 7th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #1

newbie question: mic and cameras

Hi guys,

Please forgive me if this is a silly question-- this is something I haven't done before, and I couldn't find the answer to my question elsewhere.

I'll be shooting an interview with two cameras facing in opposite directions (showing the interviewer and interviewee). A boundary mic is in between the people, and i want it to be connected to both cameras' external mics (both are TRV900's, but that shouldn't matter and may actually change). What kind of hardware do I need? Can I just get a headphone splitter, headphone extension cords, and a bunch of adapters? (wow, now that I look at that, it seems like a really really bad idea).

Please help!!

Thanks,

Rachel
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I can't say I,ve ever tried this, but it does not sound like a good idea. I would look for some sort of small portable mixer with 2 miniplug outputs.
Did you post on the "Now hear this" forum on this board ?
Samuel Birkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I agree, I think you should look for a small cheap mixer. I wouldn't gamble on just using a headphone splitter.

You could always just hook up to one camera and dub the audio to the other later or in post. At least that way you would get one good track instead of getting two bad ones if the headphone splitter doesn't work. Of course, both cameras would need to be running continuous for the audio sync to not be a pain, but hey, tape is cheap.

Levelse7en@gmail.com
John Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion