DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   Since the Z1 doesn't have progressive , what about ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/34804-since-z1-doesnt-have-progressive-what-about.html)

Kurth Bousman November 11th, 2004 12:19 PM

Since the Z1 doesn't have progressive , what about ...

A more detailed discussion of the alluded real 25p on the pc 350e. I could never downloaded John Jays' footage. Did anyone look at his footage and is it real p ? It appears this question has been just out of reach on the internet. I've read a number of posters on other forums that leave questions about the prog function and never receive answers. Who can step up to the plate ? thanks- Kurth

John Jay November 11th, 2004 02:22 PM

If you want to badger CH for space on his ftp I can up it there

Kurth Bousman November 11th, 2004 06:27 PM

John , I was hoping to hear from you again. What's your updated opinion. I've been reading your posts in SM's forum(HDV) and it sounds like you know more than I, so I'd love to hear more. How does it do in fast pans in cinema ? , does the lack of audio monitoring really hurt ?, What % resolution gain would I hopefully see over a typical ntsc considering it's prog and pal ?, at the moment I can't remember if it's got stablization in cinema mode ?, how's the autoexposure ? Have you projected it ? etc.,etc. (just a few questions !) I love it's size faqctor, it's lancability and int.hotshoe. Is it worth the $350 higher price it commands over the 350 ? Is the centuryoptics .65wa 37mm the best, & what have you learned about wa adapter suitability ?
Next calling CH . I'd love to see it over my computer , thanks for the offer , I'll see if I can reach out , but also I trust intelligent opinions. thanks Kurth

John Jay November 12th, 2004 07:56 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Kurth Bousman :

How does it do in fast pans in cinema ? ,

it performs like a 16:9 25p camera should

does the lack of audio monitoring really hurt ?,

audio can be monitored at the line out, no pain no gain

What % resolution gain would I hopefully see over a typical ntsc considering it's prog and pal ?,

I believe the ratio is 576/480 = 1.2 times more vertical resolution

at the moment I can't remember if it's got stablization in cinema mode ?,

Yes it has

how's the autoexposure ?

Works fine

Have you projected it ? etc.,etc. (just a few questions !)

No

I love it's size faqctor, it's lancability and int.hotshoe. Is it worth the $350 higher price it commands over the 350 ?

In Japan there was no price difference between country specific variants

Is the centuryoptics .65wa 37mm the best, & what have you learned about wa adapter suitability ?

I use a (pre Super 8) Canon C8 0.65x WA with thin step rings. This is an outstanding afocal lens adapter with 4 elements and multicoated. Its the silver alu one from the early sixties and weighs as much as the camera. In 35mm terms I am getting about 24mm wide :)

Next calling CH .

Good Luck!

Kurth Bousman November 15th, 2004 03:48 PM

thanks John - I thought that a progressive image had about a perceived 40% higher resolution than a interlaced image if you keep it progressive and output on a progressive display ? That's the number I always heard tossed about. Besides the film-out capabilities , that's the advantage of a progressive image - the full res is always present- is that incorrect ?
I believe this makes the 350e , along with the DVX and XL2 , the only SD cameras under 5k , to have a progressive image. How would you say it would stack up , considering the overall pixel count is not that different ?
Have you done any enhancements to the image in post , like filmlooks ?
You gave me an idea to pull out my c-8 super 8 wa for my canon 1014xls and try it on my pd100a and it works real nice at full wide giving me just the right barrel distortion- I'd thought of using video wa adapters on super 8 cameras but the reverse hadn't occurred to me . thanks- Kurth