just received first pdx10 camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old September 6th, 2002, 07:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

just received first pdx10 camera

...for test
In the nearest future will do comparison with pd150, so far some things, which seemed good or bad. If anyone has field experience with pdx10 or trv950, tell your opinion, my first impressions after some playing around in office:
bad weight balance. Even w/o XLR adaptor and ext mic it has so much weight on it's nose, that it's impossible to operate camera with one hand. And i miss handle like pd150 had.
weird behavior of focus ring when operated manually (that can be because of lack of experience).
When focus is set to manual, camera shows focusing distance in meters. (i love this one!)
no ND filters. Don't know how bad it is, have'nt tried camera in bright light yet.
earphones connector is under same cover with all video/USB/firewire connectors. When using earphones while shooting, i have to leave that cover opened.

..and some whistles-bells, have'nt tried them all yet.

regards, Margus
Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2002, 10:56 PM   #2
psurfer1

How do you come by a pre-release pdx10? (Unless released in Estonia prior to US?) How's it's b/w VF compared to the pd150's?

I have the TRV950, and using it straight, with nothing mounted on top, it seems fine in one hand to me. I cannot understand the few "unbalanced" comments I've read. The camera is a solid, 2lb little package, with as far as I can discern, a relatively well-centered (fore to aft) center of gravity.

--Now if you don't snug up the handstrap, then holding it can get tiring. When properly adjusted, the strap allows the camera's weight to mostly rest on the heel of your palm, when the camera is in an upright position. Try getting the strap just right, and I think you'll get used to it.

As far as having no top handle, the 950 is so small and easy to grab anywhere from above w/the LCD closed, that I see absolutley on need to add bulk to a steathy design. If you really pine for a top handle, you could probably find some aftermarket thing to fit in the hot shoe, but that defeats the purpose of the camera. I appreciate how you can hold the camera in a virtually limitless number of ways, taking advantage of the smaller body and larger and better resolution LCD. Having that capability w/a pd150 picture quality is the camera's best feature. Unlike the pd150 or GL2, the 950 (or pdx10 w/the top-mount XLR adptr removed) is relatively invisible in public.

The trick w/the manual focus ring (like most of the electronic ones, imprecise) seems two-fold: The quicker you twist it, the more focus distance it proportionally changes; and as you get closer to the near focusing end, you have to twist it proportionally more to cover those inches, a la a real mechanical lens mechanism (only screwier...). The good news is that manual focus-distance readout that's in both the VF and LCD. As soon as you start to twist the ring, the readout shows you which way you're going and where you've ended up. All the electronic "manual" focus cameras could use this feature. I think all country's 950's have the readout in meters. -I'll take it.

I have not run out of needed aperture yet in sunshine outdoors. Could be possible, though. So far, seems adequate, and I haven't put an ND on it yet. Also nice that when you do, the filter will sit behind the bayonet lens hood.
Old September 16th, 2002, 02:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

no, it's not prerelease, you can buy one in Europe. Really weird if pdx10 is not available in US, usually Sony launches it's products in US markets first.

I tried to tighten handstrap as you recommended, camera does'nt still fit to my hand, it tends to turn counterclockwise

We will do side-by-side comparison with pd150 sometimes in this week with two cameramen involved, that should give more fair picture about differences-similarities.

regards, Margus
Old September 24th, 2002, 01:21 AM   #4
Outer Circle

That's exactly what I reported with the TRV950. It's a solid heavy cam, but it's too heavy to hold with one hand, and "it tends to turn counterclockwise," and tilts forward (front heavy). I also found it next to impossible to grip. My fingers kept sliding off. There should be a "lip" or ridge for your fingers to grip---it's just too heavy and difficult to hold to be called a hand-held. Otherwise it seems like a solid cam.

Re: "camera doesn't still fit to my hand, it tends to turn counterclockwise."
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2002, 10:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Margus,

Have you done these comparisons yet? And if so are the results posted somewhere?

Thanks,

Blake

<<We will do side-by-side comparison with pd150 sometimes in this week with two cameramen involved, that should give more fair picture about differences-similarities.>>
Blake Haber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 08:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

hi Blake,
as sometimes happens time cheated me. Now i lost opportunity to use pd150. Some .tif pictures with similar frames from pd150 and pdx10 are at
http://www.opossum.ee/ftp/skydive/kiwik_lowres/pdx10_pd150/
Taken in office.

But, i had possibility to hook NP-QM91 battery (the biggest one) to pdx10. Bigger battery changes camera's weight balance much. Now it's quite OK, no matter if i use mic adapter or not. It's really amazing how much that additional weight helps. Please discard that 'bad weight balance' point from my first mail.

Yeah.. On other hand you can add 'bad light sensitivity'. It's considerably lower than pd150.
regards, Margus
Old October 28th, 2002, 03:25 AM   #7
Outer Circle

Re: "...usually Sony launches it's products in US markets first."

Nope. Japan always comes first. This goes for all new cams from JVC, Pana, Sharp etc.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion